1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How big was your Monday paper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bmm, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Baltimore Sun now down to two sections -- at least on Monday and Tuesday, we'll see what new surprise tomorrow brings. Comics and crossword jammed in behind sports, and the Living content now floating free-form at the back of the A section behind the editorials. No longer sporting a section header, just featuring a loose conglomeration of short stories about the arts, lifestyle, etc.

Zell has killed this once-great paper. It's like watching the Colts go 2-14 while playing in front of 12,000 fans before getting uprooted by Irsay.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Since February, our Monday and Tuesday papers have been 24 pages, regardless of ads or news hole, to cut down on newsprint costs. Two 12-page sections, with sports and classifieds in the B section. Our circulation's around 40K.

While sports has taken a bit of a newshole hit, that's nothing compared to the A section. Better not be any big, breaking news around here on a Monday, because all we'll fit in the Tuesday A section is a brief. :(

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You are not kidding about the Sun. When I was in Baltimore and saw the Sun up close, it struck me how badly the paper has deteriorated. If the Trib sells this paper the new owners need to beef it back up and go back to a look that works.

Then again, it might be too late. "Light for All" may have gone out.

4. Ensign Pulver

Ensign Pulver Member

Almost big enough to kill a spider.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

We had 36 pages (12 each for news, biz/sports and features), and our circulation is around 30K or so.

We're at 40 pages every other day of the week.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Maybe a better question would be "how small was your Monday paper?"

Draft saved Draft deleted