1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How big is your bracket?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's one of those things you'd learn about working your way up the coaching ladder at a FCS school, Mr. Golden Boy.

Got any quarterbacks who can play next fall?

Hey, if you have nothing better to do, hop on the plane with the Bruins to Philadelphia this week. I'm sure they can use a motivational speech.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Why did you waste space with a blank women's bracket?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I never understood running a blank bracket, even in the days when space was much better than it is now. A blank bracket is just a bunch of lines.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Went ahead and ran 6 full columns with the capsules below it. I filled a facing page with tournament stories. Two full pages inside filled with non-local copy? That might be the last time they give me that much space on a Sunday.
    We'll see, though. I asked for space for a women's bracket tonight (although I don't know that I would run that one 6 columns).

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Dammit ... I opened this thread intent on making that joke. First freakin' response.

You snooze, you lose I guess.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

gender equity. and there was space.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

But what purpose did it serve to run a blank bracket? Would could the reader have possibly taken from that?

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The idea, and I have actual reader input on this, so it's not a urban legend, is that folks will take that bracket and fill it in as the teams are announced tonight.

Amazing, isn't it?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Those are holdovers from the days when you couldn't print out a complete, filled-in bracket from the web 10 seconds after the announcement is made.

10. JackReacher

Wow. That is amazing.

Still, I'd put something more newsworthy in that space and run the complete bracket the next day. That's just me, though. Readers often don't know what's good for them. :)

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I know I filled in the blank bracket my hometown paper ran every year for as long as I can remember ... So when I got my own section to run, those blanks ran in the Sunday paper. It is the biggest section of the week ... Plan ahead and make sure you get the space. A simple concept for semi-intelligent SEs. :)

RB

12. JackReacher

It must just be you crusty old-schoolers filling in the empty bracket. :)

I've always printed out a copy from the internet or cut the completed bracket out of the paper on Monday morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted