1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How big a story is this, and how big a story would it be?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The outcry on a hypothetical Larsen fix, for an example, would be really interesting. I think the reaction would range from outright denial to "I don't care what really happened. I like the story the way it is" to anger at the whistle blower for ruffling history's bed cover. I know that Joshua Prager took some heat for the Bobby Thompson work in the WSJ, and Jane Leavy and others have gotten castigated for investigating the length of some of Mickey Mantle's home runs. Sports are almost an American secular religion for a lot of people, and like religion, when myth makes way for provable truth, we would be apt to discover that people would still pick myth.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Over my reading of baseball history over the last 45 or so years, it's been my impression that as long as the Giants played in the Polo Grounds with the team offices/clubhouse/locker room in center field, it was generally acknowledged that some kind of sign stealing went on in virtually every single game and it was pretty much accepted as one of the park conditions.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

If the Sox had not won the two series this century, this would get completely blown out of proportion by the New York tabloids.

Thi sis a huge story in Boston anyway.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

...and Eddie's last name is pronounced SEA-cot, not sih-COT-ee. Our family is French, not Italian!

Draft saved Draft deleted