1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How big a story is this, and how big a story would it be?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=6396358

So the lynchpin of this story is an out-of-context rumor, and I don't personally think this is anything without significant additional reporting. It's maybe a note in a baseball roundup if you're in Chicago or Boston. That's it, to me.

But I'm very open to hearing other opinions on the matter.

However, the main reason I brought this up is, what would your reaction be if it was proven that the Cubs threw the 1918 World Series. Being that the Red Sox then went 86 years before winning another title and the Cubs still haven't, I think it's actually a significant story, if someone can definitively prove it.

One interesting note: Thanks to World War I, the Cubs did not have an active Hall of Famer for the World Series.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There's a fairly lengthy thread on the S&N board, but basically I'd say,

1) The vast majority of people wouldn't care, and

2) Of those who do care, i.e. mainly hard-core baseball history nuts, it's been known for a long time that several other World Series in the teens were slightly fishy, with 1918 probably at the head of that list.

It would certainly be a story (not a notebook item) if it were solidly proven, but huge black headlines, front-page status for a week?

Nah.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

To be clear, I mean it shouldn't be anything more than a notebook item as it current stands reported. Factor in even one clear accusation from someone who actually has knowledge of the situation, and I think it's at least a front-page-of-the-sports-section story in both markets.

I do disagree that if it were solidly proven that the Cubs threw the Series -- if you could find financial documents or written contracts that proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the 1918 World Series was thrown -- that wouldn't be a big, bold headline across the top of the page. I think that's a really big deal. I think that's A1, easily, in the two markets.

Red Sox and Cubs fans cling to their history. They would care.

Also, my apologies on the DB, but I'm more interested in the journalist value of this story if it turns out true than whether or not it IS true.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I agree with all three points.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it would be an interesting Sunday Takeout story in Chicago, a small story in Boston, and a note everywhere else...

Unless anything is proven, that is, and that's not happening...

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wonder how far recent something like this has to be for it to be hard news rather than just history. Some of the stuff about the 1951 Giants sign-stealing implicated those kind of issues, as well.

Obviously, if the 2010 World Series were under suspicion: Story.
    2004: Story.
    1990: Probably still a pretty big story, even bigger if Hall of Famers or people still active in the game as managers, coaches, and front-office people are involved.
    1980: Big story, but not sure it is handled the same way as '10 or '04 or even '90. Any chance of criminal charges at this point? Or has the statute of limitations run out?

What about 1970? What about 1960? What if it were found that the 1940 World Series were thrown? Does anyone outside of historians care? What if it were a famous World Series? What if it were Super Bowl III?

What if it were a 19th Century presidential election? What if it were the ratification of the Constitution? News? History?

7. Mizzougrad96

I think it's always a huge story... If it can be proven.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nothing to see here except Cubs fans wallowing in their own self-inflicted pain, keep moving folks.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

If it is proven it's a big story. A championship being thrown in one of the major sports is always a big story but this one ties into the two biggest "curses" and the Black Sox.

10. Mizzougrad96

The exception is the NBA. Then ESPN buries that story. :D

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It would be big, but not the way that a more recent vintage fix would be. I think people would find it more quaint than anything. Very little (relative) emotion expended. Interesting to people in that it fills in some fascinating historical gaps.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm no baseball historian, but I thought it was just assumed that anything that happened before 1920 had a fairly sizable chance of being hippodromed (is that the right word?).

Draft saved Draft deleted