1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How bad is local TV news?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Dec 12, 2006.

1. T2

T2 Member

Each time I've seen this, I've been laughing at Les's insistence on what he thinks is the correct pronunciation of MISTER Rodwigweez's name (not Chi-Chi, which would be a girl's name) ... and I've missed the other joke, that hopefully the nine-under-par golfer "will play up to par next competition."

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Thank God there were no sportscasters involved - if that happened at the main Foxy Lady in Providence and the usual number of Boston pro athletes were in the house...

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It is damn near criminal what they've done to that station. They had a lot of the best, most professional people in town and decided to chase away nearly all of them. When a Fox O&O that spends 2/3 of the time jizzing American Idol is the market leader, you know all hope is lost.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Memo to TV news:

This should be your weather report: "The high tomorrow will be 79, the low 56. There will be a 30 percent chance of rain, and winds will be 10-15 mph."

The other 21 minutes and 30 seconds should be devoted to news.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I haven't voluntarily watched local TV news in nearly two years, and then only because I was trying to find out, after the fact, the cause of a massive power outage in the area.

But as a former newspaper editor, I had a couple of run-ins with local TV reporters. One was inquiring about a university-promoted program in which students pay their own way to join two professors in an educational trip to Tibet (or Mongolia, or some such place). This reporter was looking for something, anything, sure there was evil deeds being performed. "C'mon AlleyAllen, tell me the truth. Is the university fucking with taxpayer money to take this trip?"

"Uh, no douchebag, the students are having to pay their own way."

"But isn't the university getting them special group rates?"

"Yeah, I believe so."

"Well, there you go!"

::)

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Yeah, because NO ONE else on the planet ever qualifies for a group rate.

I'd only watch my local TV news if it was some sort of hostage situation.

As in, *I* was tied to a chair, and some dude had a gun to my head, forcing me to watch it.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Did that really happen? Wow. Just wow.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Thought that was just the case in Pittsburgh.

The way the local stations have a boner for everything Steelers, I wouldn't be surprised if some reporter flagged down Big Ben -- apparently, they don't know his actual name -- for a comment on the death of former PA governor Ray Shafer.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

No. Not in my market. At least not to my knowledge, anyway.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i don't know. haven't watched more than three consecutive minutes of TV news in about six years.

although it's kinda suspicious that one of the lead anchors down here (south florida) is named dwight lauderdale.

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

They should just do what everyone else does -- get their stories out of the newspaper.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Trying going from a newspaper to a TV station ... I'm slowing building a brick wall in my office. One day I'm going to dive head first into it.

BTW, we they do four minutes of weather off the top of the 5 (Central).

Draft saved Draft deleted