1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How bad are TBS playoff broadcasts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Well, since Orsillo's mortgage is paid by John Henry ...

2. He also offers analysis on non-existent Soriano leg injuries.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Why complain about something you can do something about? If you don't like TBS' announcers, listen to ESPN Radio's announcers or, if you are a mlb.tv subscriber, listen to one of the radio broadcasts for the two teams involved. If you have DVR, you can easily sync it up.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yeah, I realize that. I'm guessing that wicked's *speculation* is correct: TBS just wanted to avoid any potential conflict of interest. I just think/hope Orsillo would be mature enough to call the game as a professional announcer and that Henry wouldn't have a problem with the fact that Orsillo was calling the game without starting "Let's go Red Sox" chants from the booth.

It just seems silly to have a guy that called 162 of one team's games not announce that series but instead call another series with two teams that he has no experience with. And if it does come down to conflict of interest issues that's pretty weak.

...And I really don't care as much about this issue as it probably seems. I just wish the announcers were better in this round.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On the issue of listening to ESPN Radio: I just did, taking in several innings of the Phillies-Rockies game on my way home from work. If thought Steve Phillips is annoying on television...

6. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Yeah, it's easy to say "tune to ESPN Radio" but when that offering is just as bad what to do? Phillips is horrendous.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I agree, but the last thing the good folks at TBS want are a shitload of Angels' fans turning this into an East-coast bias thing.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jesus, was all this foreshadowed, or what? We all knew it would be an utter train wreck, and sure enough . . .

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know I'm in the minority, but I appreciate not having FOX sticking their cameras up Andy Petite's nostrils or every other shot being a fan with their hands in a praying pose. Also don't miss the ESPN presence. We could have Berman.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pretty bad since Jim Simpson just said the Yankees were the only team to ever come back from a 2-0 deficit in a Division Series.

11. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I just saw Chip Caray is doing the Indians-Yankees series. I now rescind my TBS support.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, as soon as I heard that, I decided to go out to eat and listen to the game on the radio.

Draft saved Draft deleted