1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How bad are TBS playoff broadcasts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My understanding is it's available on DirecTV only at the moment. As to TBS, yes, some (not a lot) of the basketball TNT-ness was attempted, and it does not translate to baseball.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Huh, oh sorry I just woke up from the nap induced by the announcers calling the Boston-Anaheim game. I've thought Ripken has been pretty good. I think Johnson is as good a studio man as there is in the biz. I didn't catch much of Thomas yesterday. Overall I'd give the broadcast a C- effort.

As much I don't like Buck and McCarver there is something about the Fox broadcasts that at least lends itself to some sort of importance. I don't know if it's just because that's what channel I'm used to watching big games, but there just is a different feel on Fox. I can't put it into words, but if the Sox play at Yankee Stadium in the next round you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Better than Fox.

Some of the announcers are good, some suck. Way of the world.

At least there aren't weird robot graphics.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'd at least settle for a digital signal instead of the blurry analog basic signal

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm not saying this to be an ass, but what makes Joe Buck so bad?

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

It ain't playoff baseball if I don't have Scooter explaining what a circle change is, either.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ego?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Last night Piniella went out to talk to Marmol and TBS went to commercial, assuming he would make a pitching change. They dicked around long enough that he was actually starting back to the dugout without making the change as they went to break, how they didn't catch that I don't know.

They got about 15 seconds into a Budweiser ad and had to abort and go back to the game. Luckily they didn't miss a pitch.

9. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

The Sox-Angels guys were so increbibly bad. At one point, the play-by-play described a bouncer to second as a perfect double-play ball... but there were two outs already.

When they went to the sideline (or is it foul line in baseball?) reporter, I didn't understand what he was trying to say half the time.

Bad and boring is a bad combination.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

TBS is bad, but Gary Thorne might be worse. Yesterday on ESPN Radio Rockies-Phils, he said, "Tom Gordon began the year as the stopper, then had some elbow trouble and was sent to the pen."

Stick to hockey, Gary.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Dane Cook is the best. I love that he gets to show up on my television during every single commercial break a minimum of twice. If it wasn't for the constant repeat of those ads, I wouldn't know that I was watching the playoffs on TBS.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me why TBS has the playoff broadcast rights? Besides, money, of course.

Or do they just have the first series?

Draft saved Draft deleted