1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How bad are TBS playoff broadcasts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 4, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I say "frighteningly awful."

Ernie Johnson is a hoops guy and it shows, Frank Thomas still hasn't looked at a camera and Cal Ripken, while he occasionally gives good info, is horrible with the highlights and doesn't have a smooth delivery.

They missed an out in the third inning of last night's Red Sox game because they were at commercial and their game analysts aren't bringing anything to the table (the pxp guys are fine).

Yeesh, I never thought I would miss a Fox broadcast.

2. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

You're right on all points about TBS. But TBS doesn't have Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. Advantage: TBS.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Exactly...McCarver is the worst at his craft that I've ever seen...how he has kept his job for so long is a mystery to me. A playoff game without him is a playoff game that will not need constant muting.

Besides the horrific Frank Thomas and the inexcusable miss of Mike Lowell's diving stab, TBS has done a solid job.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Dick Stockton needs to be taken out behind the woodshed and shot. Offers nothing whatsoever, save mispronounced names.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

NO TBSHD for me. I'm pissed

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If you ask skip caray, this is karma for him being kicked to the curb ...

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oh, how I loathe McCarver, believe me. The whole TBS production just feels thrown together though, and that's inexecusable considering how long they've been broadcasting the Braves.

I hate the idea that any ex-jock can do a studio show. Don't they have screen tests for these guys or anything? I saw a commercial with Tony Gwynn and Ripken and all it did was remind me that Gwynn would likely be a far better option as an analyst. I like Ripken, but he is awfully wooden. I think Gwynn's got a smoother on-air personality.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Will someone please tell Joe Simpson (is that the asshat's name?) that every base runner in the postseason is NOT a rally!
    Four times during Rockies-Pods ON Monday night and at least 3 times during Phils-Rocks yetsreday. the douchebag said, after the leadoff guy got on "In the postseason, every base runner is a rally."
    WTF?

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Fox pioneered the art of missing the first out of an inning due to late-running commercials. TBS just learned from the master. Honestly, how hard would it be to copy the NHL model: have an official in the press box with his finger on a light switch. When the commercial break ends, he turns off the bright red light and the umpire points to the pitcher. Play ball.

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Stockton is awful. Otherwise, I'm enjoying the TBS broadcasts.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Me too, can't find it on my satellite (Dish Network). I get a zillion random HD channels but they can't find room for TBSHD?

And yes, I'm turning into a snob that can't watch many sports anymore unless they're in HD.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Simpson was trying, unsuccessfully, to heighten the drama of a playoff game. Wasn't necessary...I'm positive Phils and Rockies fans know they are in the playoffs after such long layoffs.

And am I the only one who thinks Ripken has done a surprisingly fine job?

Draft saved Draft deleted