1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are you playing the World Cup?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by huntsie, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We'll have roundups each day inside, USA somewhere on the cover.

But right now, it's all about the Mavs, baby.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Sports-front story every day during the Cup. Two or three sidebars inside with AP glance infobox. Leading up, we had a sports-front story each day for a week.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

We're a smallish outfit, but I squeeze in what I can.

Ran group previews in the build-up to the Cup ... I'm planning on photos and gamers from US matches, anything else from the group stage is a bonus.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Local metro had a reefer on the cover with standings, a roundup and the gamer, matcher?, from England's win.
    Germany's win was CPed in Saturday's paper.
    I'm praying to God no one uses "Bravo" in its Mexico win's headline for Monday, assuming you have a headine.
    I'm also curious to see what happens with the coverage when the U.S. gets eliminated.

5. LukeKnox

LukeKnox Member

cover presence each day, and sometimes CP when the U.S. plays (that's the plan as of now) ... generally 4-6 columns inside. we've got Pablo Mastreoni as our local, but we're not going totally ape over him.

meh.

6. mkaufman

mkaufman Member

Here at the Miami Herald, we are playing it HUGE, and rightly so, considering our market. We run three open pages every day, and the front always has a big World Cup presence. Linda Robertson is there now and I head over on Sunday for the next three weeks.
    We did a 24-page tab preview section (well, 12 pages was ads, but still...) and we ran double-trucks every Sunday for about 6 weeks leading in with player profiles, etc...
    In other words, we do soccer big here in Miami. And we're doing 8-page wraps on Heat, too, so busy, busy time in our dept.
    Have a nice summer everyone,
    Michelle Kaufman.

7. NDub

NDub Guest

Columnist writes a daily with tidbits of information about the teams, players and soccer in general. The average person doesn't know what offsides, yellowcard, midfielder, etc. is.

She also writes a Spanish language column for those who aren't too good with English. I think that's kinda neat because it does fit some of our readership.

DaMarcus Beasley is a native of this city and played his high school soccer here, too. I'm sure that has some in the area interested in this event.

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Member

We're giving it more space than I though we would. We've had the U.S. on the front a couple of times and at least half a page inside our usual 6-8 page section. We're also trying to tap into as many local angles as possible.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow - i'm sure those 12 readers will be stoked. good work.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Teases on the front when the US doesn't play, roundup and some kind of second story inside.
    Front page when U.S. plays, may put an "advance" out there tomorrow and a roundup inside. Lots of local connectons with the U.S. team, though we'd probably play it out there anyway.

Fortunately, we won't have to worry about the U.S. in this thing much longer.

Draft saved Draft deleted