1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are you playing it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Big day in sports. Potential APSE mandatory section (though they "claim" it's random).

So, how is your story play in Sunday's paper, from front page to inside?

-- Buchholz no-hitter

-- Appalachain State over Michigan.

-- Something else big that your area deems a bigger deal.

-- Weekly enterprise (if applicable)

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

App. State is our centerpiece. Local kid is the QB for them. That was a no-brainer.

We had a high school story up top, two local college stories and our big U's football game. We had Buchholz teased at the top.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We have a separate college football section. Buchholz went at the bottom of the regular front in a non-color position. I wonder what Dan Rydell thinks of that. ::)

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

We were slugged... OU opening was the main story, App. was stripped in the middle and jumped inside with art, OSU was across the bottom. OU and OSU had art on front. We did NOTHING about the no-hitter on the front, but we got it in stripped across the top of the baseball page.
    Football is a bigger deal here then just about anything.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Our section played the App game and Bucholz at sports front teasers ... we're right in the heart of Hokie country, so that story was big. The local I-AA played its opener in front of the second largest crowd in school history, and the other I-A opened its season so they were up front too. It's the right play for our area.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

We have separate sections as well, a four-page wrap four college football with UofM on the bottom and the regular section, whose front had Buchholz across the top.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

NASCAR is in our back yard here in SoCal, so we've got a feature and advance preview running centerpiece for that. USC and UCLA season openers are running down-page, and packaging that with our main columnist who is at the Coliseum.

Baseball gets teased on S1 (breakout story on the MLB page.) Michigan gets teased on S1 (breakout story on the NCAA page.)

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I broke my own "rule", and kept Buchholz inside. The U. of Podunk dominated our front (and three inside pages), and we were either going with Appy State OR the U. of Podunk's big rival (that needed a late rally to win) if said plainsmen would have lost. A strip ad at the bottom of 1C meant we had a three-story (and 300-tease) front instead of our usual four.

If APSE nods on this night, fellas, we are GOLD! :)

rb

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We had to tease the no-no and play Appy State out front with the local team.

Not much else to do.

10. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Why should a mid-sized paper ever put a no-hitter out front if you've got enough local copy to fill your front?

And by midsized I mean 30K-60K. It's our job to give our readers, the fan base what they care about. But you always have 1-2-3 no-hitters a season.

A perfect game, now that's going out front.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

You put it there if you think your readers would be interested and/or expect it there.

If you were in New England, I think you should have put this one there.

[But I will admit, unabashedly, that I am a diehard Red Sox fan with his roots in 1967.]

This no-hitter was a little more interesting than some because it was his second game, and because of the pennant race. (Again, this is the pennant race I am most interested in).

Considering the time. the Globe must have remade for it. The front page on the website shows a 2 1-2 column vertical picture of Buchholz being hosted by Varitek. Head over the top and a one-column subhead on the story.

It was a Dan Shaughnessy piece. He also had a Rodney Harrison column inside.

I am usually a Shaugnessy fan (yes, we are out here). I understand he was on a deadline crunch, but I thought the lead was cliched.:

Years from now, there will be hundreds of thousands of folks who'll say they were there. Memories will dim and wannabes will exaggerate and it will be impossible to prove who really sat in Fenway Park Sept. 1, 2007, and who watched it on television or heard it on the radio.

But the story rapidly got better, and in all I thought it served its purpose and was a good piece.

Anyone in the Boston area see an earlier edition?

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I think my local paper does a great job, and I know their entire circulation area had a Florida team of some kind opening Saturday, but I was still pretty surprised to see App. State-Michigan on page 3 of their college football section. I'm sure it was tough on the section editor, but still ...

Draft saved Draft deleted