1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are you going to cook your Thanksgiving turkey?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nope. No insult.

The Pepin method makes for a very nice turkey.

2. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

[​IMG]

You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just a few small Granny Smiths, and don't peel 'em, just slice 'em in half.

Another good way to go is to simply quarter up a bunch of lemons and stuff the cavity with them (sans herbs). That perfumes the meat very well, too.

I too always oil the skin.

The one time we did a fresh turkey I let the bride handle it, and she wound up having some medium-rare issues, if you get my drift. I've always wanted to try one of those "heritage" turkeys, but they're pretty expensive and require more planning (and advance-ordering) than I'm prone to do. I wonder, too, if they wouldn't be nearly as crowd-pleasing as a regular (whole lotta white meat) turkey.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Since I have to work Thanksgiving, I think I'm going to have the local barbecue restaurant smoke mine.

Found a recipe in Sunday's paper for a from-scratch bacon macaroni and cheese that I think I'm going to try, and I think my mom's yam casserole is in order this year. Her secret ingredient? Heavy cream. Oh, and pecans.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When it comes to turkey, it's all about the dark meat.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

No turkey here.

We have "Kung Pao Christmas" and Thanksgiving. No turkey nor ham but yes to sesame chicken and spring rolls.

A tradition for 12 years. My kids know it no other way. No cooking. No cleaning. Lots of laughs.

Draft saved Draft deleted