1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are you going to cook your Thanksgiving turkey?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Nov 12, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've gone with Alton Brown's recipe in the past, and it works out great:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

Do the brine. It makes a big difference. And, since I brined it in a 5lb bucket (available for a couple of bucks at Home Depot), and kept it cold with ice and insulation and putting it out in the hall, I freed up a ton of room in the fridge.

Today's Times suggests steaming & roasting.

Recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/12941/Steamed-and-Roasted-Turkey.html

I have to admit, I'm intrigued.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just call the Butterball hotline ...

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I've been drinking pumking spice ale for weeks now, trying to save up enough brine for an 18-pound bird.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

1. Baked. The traditional way
    2. Fried. My son handles this one.
    3. Smoked. My specialty. Just bought a new smoker.

We're also doing two hams. The two of us are responsible for the meat portion of dinner that will have 30 people in attendance.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'll stuff mine (loosely) with halved apples and fresh sage, then I'll roast it in a traditional way, covering the breast with foil when necessary. The apple/sage stuffing perfumes the bird very nicely. While it roasts I'll sip a bloody mary or two while watching the waves break on the Texas gulf coast. Might even get a bit loopy before kickoff of the Cowboys-Redskins game.

A few years ago I did a New Mexico turkey by sliding roasted green chiles and garlic under the breast skin before roasting. Then, rather than traditional gravy I made red chile turkey gravy. We also had cranberry margaritas. God it was good, but a helluva lot of trouble.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving was last month. :)

I'm intrigued by the Jacques Pepin method.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Better question is how is 21 crossing her giblets this year?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Whatever way Buddig tells me to.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Will be making reservations for Thanksgiving.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Rare

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Whatever way the eatery that mom chooses cooks it. Hopefully it's a buffet, I don't really like turkey and go straight for the roast beef.

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm canceling the holidays this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted