1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How are we going to pay for this?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Most of us don't deserve what we've endured the past eight years, thanks to Bubble Boy.

2. Like Eddie Murphy?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I've always wondered about this, both back home and since I moved over here.

What's the big deal with paying a little more in taxes each year? Is the major opposition to it purely based in the fear that the more money government gets, the more of it will be wasted on 'pork barrell' legislation?

And that being said, what if we knew up front where the money would be going? Would that make it any better, or easier to pay slightly more in taxes each year?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's a big part of it. And the fact that roughly 40 percent of the average American's gross income gets eaten up by taxes in some way. They're getting enough of our money. They don't need more of it.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't doubt your numbers in the least, but it may be a hard sell in other countries where, from my understanding, they pay very SIGNIFICANT taxes, more than ours. I may be wrong, though, because I don't have the numbers in front of me.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

They're politicians. They don't have any answers; they just want everyone to think they do.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If I wanted to live in France I'd move to France. I don't really care what other country's tax rates are in relation to ours. All I know is the government doesn't deserve any more of my money.

8. Thank you.

Those who think we aren't taxed enough should move to a place like France or the U.K. and see how that fits them.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

AQB...relax. I wasn't attacking your premise. I was trying to explain it to GB-Hack who isn't from the states. I personally couldn't give a swut what people in Finland pay, but someone not from the states very well could.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Legalize prostitution. Tax it, regulate it for safety, have red-light districts.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There's some validity to that concept.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That would require adult legislators.

We're not quite there, yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted