1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How about a Super Bowl 49 thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Jan 28, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

the two best teams in football are playing, yes I can see why there would be no reason to watch. Why do you watch others?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to hook up my computer to the TV and put on a continuous loop of Lynch's press conference, the Richard Sherman/Doug Baldwin greatness from earlier this year, the SNL skit of Tom Brady, and Bad Lip Reading. Should keep us entertained for an hour and then it's game time.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Who even has time to sit around for 4 or more hours and watch the pregame stuff? I don't even have kids or pets and I won't sit through that shit.

4. LongTimeListener

Saw a note that the prop bet for a safety is getting a lot of play.

Oddly enough, we're on a three-game streak of SBs with a safety.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Normally I like to bet with the trend, but I'd definitely bet against it in regard to a safety. What's the line on that one?

6. LongTimeListener

It's about 5-1. Doesn't sound like a very good payout. (I'm not sure you can actually bet ***against*** a safety though.)

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

How about a prop bet on a second half kickoff return TD? It's happened the past two years.

A ski resort in our area has given away season passes to everyone watching the game in the ski lodge bar thanks to Jacoby Jones and Percy Harvin. For some reason, they chose a second half kickoff return TD as the promotion.

8. LongTimeListener

Guessing the "some reason" is you keep people there for 2 1/2 hours instead of 15 seconds.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. LongTimeListener

If I were going to pick one bet, I'd go with the first-half under 24. If there's a first-quarter under of any kind, I'd jump on that too.

The five Belichick Super Bowls, the average first-half score is 10.4-6.4. The highest total was 24 (they led Carolina 14-10).

The average first-quarter score is Patriots 0, Opponents 5. Yup. Brady and Belichick have never scored in the first quarter.

Songbird and bigpern23 like this.
  10. bigpern23

Ah, I thought the props might be something like:
    A safety will be scored +350
    A safety will not be scored - 600

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Every year I have the same dilemma as Rhody -- go watch with my friends elsewhere but then I have to drive and can't drink; watch at home alone; go to my friend's family-friendly SB party but have to leave at halftime with the kids. This year, however, we've become very good friends with our neighbors and they're hosting the SB. Which means if the kids fade by halftime, my wife can take them home. And I can drink to my heart's content. Win.

12. bigpern23

If it were an option, I would totally host the Super Bowl party.
    Pros
    • Can drink, don't have to drive
    • Can watch with knowledgable fans
    • Kids in bed by halftime (probably even end of the first quarter)
    • People bring me food and beer

Cons:
    • Post-game cleanup.

Dick Whitman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted