1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston's Case Keenum should win Heisman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnoopyBoy, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

I would like to see Keenum win it, but there's no way.

He'll get an invite to NYC, but there's just no way.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tim Brown's Heisman year stats: 34 receptions. 857 Ko/PR return yards. 8 total TDs. Lame.

Eric Crouch's Heisman year stats: 1,115 yards rushing, 18 TDs
    1510 yards passing, seven TDs.

He didn't do squat in the pros, but that's a solid Heisman year for a QB.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Even considering 2 of last year's 3 finalists are potential finalists again? Get out of town.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Honestly, if the season ended today, my vote would go to Toby Gerhart.

But, according to HeismanPundit, which is pretty good at this, Mark Ingram would win if the season ends today. Keenum would actually show strongly; neck in neck with Colt McCoy. Tebow and CJ Spiller would probably get invites, too. Spiller helped himself with the monster game against FSU, but the body of work is a little lacking in my opinion. If he finishes strong, he might surge. Out of that group, I really do believe that Ingram is the most deserving. Alabama football bores me to death (in the best sense of the word), but he has been as consistent as brushing my teeth in the morning and none of those quarterbacks are doing anything that should make anyone go wow -- McCoy and Tebow because they are a fraction of what they were last year, even if their stats are reasonable ,and Keenum because he's in an Arena League offense.

The one player I really hope sneaks in and gets an invite to NY is Gerhart. He's actually more deserving than any of the guys on that list, in my opinion, not just based on stats, but in terms of what he means to his team. But playing at Stanford has prevented him from getting him the necessary exposure. A Stanford win over USC, with him having a huge day today, might help a little. I have rewatched nearly every Stanford game this year, and Gerhart is one of those guys you can envision as a pro, but never wowing anyone, but 10 years later you wake up and realize how solid he was and he will actually have compiled some serious stats. He reminds me of Mike Alstot (and not just because they are both white), except Gerhart is faster. Deceptively fast, because you see him get into the secondary and you think he is going to be lumbering because of his build, but instead he creates separation from the guys chasing him. I watched Stanford's first few games and couldn't stop talking about him. He was bouncing off guys and lowering his shoulder at the point of contact, which I love in a back, and then every few runs, he'd show a move and get out in the open. I have no affiliation with Stanford or the Pac 10. ... I hope any of you with a vote at least take a look at what Gerhart has done before voting. The only guy on that list I believe you can make a reasonable argument has been better is Ingram.

5. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Keenum's chances pretty much torpedoed in loss to Central Florida.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Probably, though I wouldn't be shocked if some voter only looks at the numbers and doesn't realize he didn't do much of anything until Houston was down 17 mid-way through the fourth quarter.

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Agreed. You can get by with one flub, when you put up amazing numbers and you play for an entertaining team, but the Cougars play in COOOOOSA, and if anybody's seen COOOOOSA since The 'Ville, Cincy, South Florida and Marquette (in basketball) flew the coup, it's a smidge above the Sun Belt.

Hope Case gets to NYC, but SB's right, he's not gonna win.

What a Heisman mess.

If Ingram finishes strong, he's got my vote.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

All those Heisman finalist QBs from last year back, but it may come down to Ingram-Tony Gerhart. If Stanford stays strong at the end, Gerhart could make a huge move up.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In the last 2 games against teams ranked No. 7 (Oregon) and No. 11 (USC), Gerhart rushed 67 times for 401 yards and 6 TDs.

For the season he has 262 carries for 1,395 yards and 19 touchdowns. He's scored in every game except the 24-17 loss to Wake (17 for 82). Against Washington he ran 27 times for 200 yards.

Right now he's as good as there is in America.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

JM, you think the Liberty Bowl people are shitting bricks right now over the prospect of Smu as their host team?

11. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I don't think it matters. Liberty Bowl is probably going to get Arkansas. Thus, the game will be very well attended.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Without a doubt. Steve Ehrhardt will fellate anyone he can think of to make that happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted