1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston's Case Keenum should win Heisman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnoopyBoy, Nov 11, 2009.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I would say Keenum's best chance is to go undefeated through the regular season, win the CUSA championship, and have Ingram get shut down in the SEC championship game (or hurt before that).

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

ucacm, Houston already has a loss, and a bad one, to UTEP.

3. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Sorry, I meant, through the rest of the regular season. Trust me, as a regular on a Houston Rockets message board, I got to see the full on meltdown of UH fans after that loss.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

All 20 of them?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Actually, I almost posted something along these lines a couple of weeks ago, but thought better of it. Keenum is a fine quarterback and he's having a great season, but he's also a system guy that is required to throw it a lot for his team to win. In a year when there isn't a true front runner, Keenum's got a chance, but I think the Heisman is Ingram's to lose and if Bama beats Florida in the SEC championship game, he'll win it.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Trust me, I loved giving the few Cougar fans hell after that loss. I was predicting a loss to an inferior opponent a la East Carolina the season before. People trashed me, so I trolled the hell out of them after that UTEP game. It is pretty sad when your school sets an attendance record with about 30,000 fans at a home game. They then proceeded to rush the field after defeating an unranked 2-1 team by 1 point. A 2-1 team that had wins over North Dakota and Rice.

The hilarity of the Cougar fanbois after their Tech victory was great. Many fans were predicting an imminent invitation to the Big XII.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I have only one thing to say:
    Andre Ware. 1989, like 2009, was an awful year for voting. Houston's Ware won it.
    1 Andre Ware Houston Jr. QB 1,073
    2 Anthony Thompson Indiana Sr. RB 1,003
    3 Major Harris West Virginia Jr. QB 709
    4 Tony Rice Notre Dame Sr. QB 523
    5 Darian Hagan Colorado So. QB 292

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Every player who has ever won the Heisman was a system guy. That argument has no weight.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree that this is the worst Heisman race probably since 1989. I just hope Tebow doesn't win by default.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I am a Tebow backer. I like him. Would love to see him win it a second time but there are so many people who dislike him, I think it's going to be tough. The kid from Houston is the real deal and it has been 20 years since the Cougars had something to brag about, so why not?

10. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Joe Dudek!

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Gordie Lockbaum!

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The talk earlier of a "bad year" has a lot of merit.
    Also, for instance, whoever gets invited to the Senior Bowl is simply among the best seniors of that particular year and even then, have to meet other Senior Bowl requirements regarding grades and other things.
    Certainly Keenum has been one of, if not the very, best and most valuable to play the game this season.
    I remember Kolb at Houston in the early 2000s was throwing the ball all over the place as a starting frosh.
    He was outstanding, but there was more "visible" talent throughout the NCAA at that time.
    Keenum and Kolb, system or not, are/were good field generals.

Draft saved Draft deleted