1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston, you should have gone with Bush...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Aug 29, 2006.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Charley Casserly better be glad he's far, far away from Houston after reading this story. Not to mention Mario Williams better be really, really good in his first year.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4147469.html

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The Texans needed lots of help at so many positions: defensive and offensive line, running back, secondary. I don't have a problem with them taking Williams over Bush in this case since they were filling a need.

Now possibly cutting Davis sucks by itself.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You can't draft for need in the first round. Especially with the No. 1 pick. You have to take the best player available.

All you have to do is watch Jerry Jones' post-Jimmy and pre-Parcells drafts for proof. The only first-rounders to pan out are Greg Ellis and Roy Williams. (Jury's still out on Terence Newman.) Two-for-seven's not good in the first round.

(Should've been 2-for-9, but Jerry pissed away two first-rounders in the Joey Galloway trade.)

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Who the hell is Walli Lundy/Lindy? Whatever!

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Preseason stats:

Vernand Morency: 24-131 rushing, 5.5 avg; 6-39 receiving, 6.5 avg.
    Reggie Bush: 15-88 rushing, 5.9 avg; 9-44 receiving, 4.9 avg.

Nice Bush impersonation by the Texans' new RB!

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I really, really can't believe Troy Calhoun is the offensive coordinator for an NFL team. I was somewhat surprised Jim Grobe took him to Wake Forest after he ran the show at Ohio and now he's an OC.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If anyone is going to blow off RB and have success based on blocking schemes, it's Shanaha... er... Kubiak.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

All I have to say is David Carr is probably really pissed. Subtracting Davis from the equation will not help David Carr's chances of not being sacked 874 times a game.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Kubiak now says Davis won't be cut ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2565978

... but the Texans still made a mistake. You don't pass on an impact player like Bush. They filled one need, but it's not like they didn't an explosive, dynamic running back who can stay healthy to take the pressure off Carr. Heck, just the fact that Bush could catch out of the backfield and be a safety valve, that would help their franchise quarterback who needs some help avoid quite a few sacks.

When I looked Bush slipping past Houston, I just don't see any way to justify that decision. None.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

They could have done worse. The Texans could have re-drafted Jeff George to fill a need at quarterback.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

With as many holes theyhad. plus the fact they went and drafted Mario Williams, they would have been much better off trading the pick for a packe of picks/players. Their most pressing need by far is O-line – you get somebody who can keep Carr from getting planted 300 times a year and some one who can maybe open up some running lanes and suddenly the problems on offence seem a lot less severe. Sure they needed help on the D-line, but they could have made a much bigger impact on this team and their future by not picking Mario and by getting a package for the pick.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

If they didn't want to go for Bush, they should've went for D'Brickashaw(I think that's how you spell it) Ferguson. I mean, that line is horrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted