1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston, we have a problem....?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Apr 12, 2016.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Some others:
    Go to the Red Lion and get the tandoori chicken quesadillas I mentioned on another thread: Red Lion British Pub
    Get a burger at Lankford Grocery: lankfordgrocery
    Swing by the Chocolate Bar: Welcome to The Chocolate Bar
    You should hit up Luling first, but you can never have too much BBQ so hit up Goode Company too: Original Goode Company Barbeque on Kirby - 5109 Kirby Dr
    After dinner at Goode Company, go next door to the armadillo palace for drinks: Goode Co. | The Armadillo Palace
    My teacher friends and I would always do happy hour at La Tapatia. It's not the quality of the others, but it's solid, cheap tex-mex, which is never a bad thing: Restaurant Cafe and Cantina
    Here's the best NY-style deli you can find in Houston (also in the Galleria area): Kenny & Ziggy's Deli - Houston

Or, just drive around and try something. Houston's by far the best food and drink town I've ever been in. So, just be adventurous and enjoy.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give me recommendations; I'll report back after my trip.

Keep others coming too if you want to add. Thanks again.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Luling City Market is my favorite BBQ joint in that area. I won't touch Goode & Co. any more, except for their pecan pie.

In the immediate Galleria area, these are some of my favorite non-chains:
    True Food Kitchen at 1700 Post Oak
    Adair Kitchen at 5161 San Felipe
    Dish Society at 5740 San Felipe
    Bubba's Texas Burger Shack at 5230 Westpark
    Mod Pizza at 5777 San Felipe

Local Foods at 2555 Kirby is a bit farther away, but well worth a visit

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wow you guys are awesome; thank you.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Houston has its flaws, but places to eat and drink -- and buy groceries -- aren't among them.

My dad has joints all over town he likes for different types of bbq, Tex-Mex, pie, whatever.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love tandoori chicken, and I like quesadillas.
    I don't know if I want those things together. I'm not sure I want tandoori chicken smothered in melted cheese.

7. SpeedTchr

Here's another good one I tried today -- Bramble at 2231 S. Voss

8. SpeedTchr

I hope you didn't get murdered, or drown in the Galleria parking garage.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

People are very nice. Had a great time; lowlight was seeing Gm. 3 and the W's losing. Missed most of the deluge; luckily one 2 hr stretch and that was it.

Great location for the Toyota Center; had a steak dinner where Ws ate the previous night (forgot the name, but something Bros. I think) and walked 2 blocks to game. Arena is nice too, 2nd deck concourse is at very top, not in middle so arena feels even bigger. Fans are great too.

10. SpeedTchr

Those Billionaire Palaces better be nice, since they gouged taxpayers for the cash to build them.

Glad you had a good time! Maybe it was Pappas Bros steak house?

Draft saved Draft deleted