1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston SE takes buyout

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Fred: If you ever want to plug a way at a 20,000-daily in Ohio, let me know!

Best of luck, sir.

2. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

Fred, I played some poker with you in Long Beach at the APSE judging last year.

You and a handful of the other SEs from the big boy papers made some of us rookies from the small papers feel welcome at the convention, even if it was just because you thought I was easy money at the poker table. Good luck in your future endeavors.

... and I hope to take more of your money down the road.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Good luck Fred. I'm guessing, from all I've read here and a little of what I've heard, that you have been the kind of SE who actually communicated with job applicants. Hopefully, you'll be treated properly when you go looking for your next position, too. Too many of your brethern, though, are the rudest SOBs going in terms of not responding to fellow professionals when looking to fill job openings.

It's one small thing but it smacks of an arrogance that newspapers no longer can afford. SEs, show some professional courtesy and let people know when a job has been filled or when their names have been scratched off your candidates list.

4. ScottFaldon

ScottFaldon Member

I had the same experience with Fred at the national APSE conventions. But I didn't get any of his money.

5. Jim Jenks

Jim Jenks Member

I definitely took some of Fred's money at APSE conventions. But I gave it back in the form of drinks at the bars that often closed way too early. Fred always took it easy on the sports editors at the poker table.

Good luck, bud. I am sure our paths will cross again.

Jim

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

Van never had a problem with bars closing early, right Jenks?

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

FYI, Fred lives... on the radio.
    From the Chronicle:
    Former Chronicle sports editor Fred Faour, who left the newspaper earlier this month, said Thursday he plans to launch a regularly scheduled weekend show within the next two weeks on KGOW (1560 AM). He makes his first appearance on the station alongside host David Nuno from 2-6 p.m. Sunday.

"I'm happy to be working with these guys," Faour said. "I bring knowledge about Houston sports history that I'll put up against anybody in the city, and I can talk about topics like horse racing and poker that people can't get from other stations

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

YAY! Good for Fred...

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good luck.

10. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Not sure if this is really the thread to air your RSVP gripes, JoeW (a great singer in your day).
    But that's just me.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Still can croon a little, I must say. 8)

But Fred's got the pipes for the radio show. Go man!

12. nothing more thrilling than poker talk on the radio

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted