1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston SE takes buyout

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he can afford to buy the beer now.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Carlton Thompson the new sports editor:

http://tinyurl.com/3adfxw

3. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

There's quite a few of us deadbeats, or BOESE's (Burned Out Ex Sports Editors) lurking around here, Slap. An ever-growing fraternity, all of whom wake up in the morning, and smile because we GOT OUT. (And I can afford to buy enough beer for everyone here.) ;D

4. Bill_Bradley

Bill_Bradley Member

Fred,

I would say, "Good Luck," but you won't need it: Something will come after you, no worries. That said, I will miss having you in the business. Call if you get the chance.

My best,

Bill

5. Lynn_Hoppes

Lynn_Hoppes Member

Fred,

You'll be missed.

What I remember about you is when we had lunch one day in Dallas, and you had so much passion for sports and so much compassion for your employees. That showed me that you cared beyond being their boss. You are a gentleman and a gentle man. Good luck with everything.

Lynn

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Who paid for lunch?

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

After this week, I need a drink.
    APSE happy hour won't be the same.
    I shared some good times with some of the folks who posted above, God this biz can suck.

8. Faour

Faour New Member

Thanks, Lynn. Thanks, Bill. (Disclaimer: It's no secret I think those are two of the best SEs in the business!!!!)

OK, time to share with everybody...

The passion is still there, and I hope I will be back. Don't want to get into the reasons I had to do this, but if you really want to know, you can email me at dragonman409@gmail.com and I will tell you everything.

For the record, the Chron's new SE -- Carlton Thompson -- was the guy I groomed to replace me, and he will do an excellent job. I am thrilled he got the gig. He is a dear friend and a great journalist.

As for me...I am going to be a bum, hang out with my now ex-secretary (who is pretty far along with terminal cancer -- you can see her blog at chron.com/blogs.cancerdiva)...play a LOT of poker (including the WSOP circuit event in New Orleans in late November and the big event at Coushatta in December) do some local radio, and...well, be a bum. Did I mention that?

But sports journalism is still what I love more than anything (well, other than poker, ex wives/girlfriends and uh, well, poker) and I will hopefully get involved again...I know everyone here has the same passion for this, because I look at the site every day and read your posts. I love that so many people care about what we do, whether or not we agree on how to do it. And as much as we all like to complain, we are addicted. And it is up to you guys to keep things going.

I am going to take a break, but I hope I will be back. (Unless, of course, I win one of those tournaments!)

No more platitudes, please. You guys are making me sad. All the people out there who hate me need to weigh in so I will feel better about this!

Seriously, I will miss everybody. You guys are the best.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Fred, I never met you in my life, but I think you suck! ;)

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm sure normally I'd be the first to throw some hate just for the heck of it, but at my first APSE meeting in Texas you took the time to talk to me when other SEs at the event didn't and I always appreciated it.
    When I saw you took a buyout I wasn't too happy about it, but good luck in your future endeavors.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Fred, I never met ya... but hit a couple royal flushes in poker so you can have a good life. Keep the positive outlook.

12. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

This has quickly and surprisingly become an outstanding thread. I never met Fred, but when many anonymous posters and a few big guns under their real names step on here and offer such platitudes, I can tell he must be a helluva guy.

I hardly ever start posts on here, because one misstep often turns a thread into a firing range. But I check the forums out every day -- as it sounds like Fred and some other highly respected professionals do -- for the good debates and threads such as this one, acknowledging a great journalist. Props to Moddy for getting this item on the board.

Fred, as I said, I never met you; in fact, despite nearly two decades in the biz, I've never heard of you. But your comments make me want to keep slugging away at my 180K circ., trying to make it a better product. Job well done. Best of luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted