1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston is No. 1 city to live work and play, says Kiplinger

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SnoopyBoy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

You'd really hate Jacksonville.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gilley's in Dallas is doing land-office business these days, thankyouverymuch.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I already hate Jacksonville. Though, perhaps in its defense, I've been there twice --- once when it was raining and once during a red tide ...

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Do your fucking glasses fog up when you get out of the car, though?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That is true. And lots of good restaurants.

And give Houston credit for improving its downtown, freeway system and public transportation.

Not my favorite place but it's the best bargain for a big city by far.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Humidity? Mosquitoes larger than 757s? Yum.

I've been to Des Moines, and it's not evil, but to rank it #9 is subrational.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Jacksonville downtown is not fun any time of the year. They have 1 sports bar in the whole downtown and it doesn't get NFL Sunday Ticket. There are truck stops in the middle of nowhere that offer better entertainment.

8. Thanks for the compliment, Tom (I think ...) :)

I've really tried to find some good things about Houston. Really. I can be happy just about anyplace, and find cool things just about anywhere. I'm not hard to please. Hell, even Sioux Falls is cool with me.

But Houston? It ain't just the weather that sucks down there.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Kiplinger must favor a triple-digit Misery Index combined with the high summer effluvia of rotting marshland, light sweet crude and decaying shellfish. What's not to love?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am not a big Houston fan, but even you have to admit that being able to find a decent job and afford a nice home goes a long way.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Isn't that the hot dogs at the Notre Dame football games?

12. Sure, but if I have to live in hell to do it, I don't think it's worth it.

And Tom, if you think I'm the smartest GOPer you know, then you must not know too many GOPers ... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted