1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston is No. 1 city to live work and play, says Kiplinger

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SnoopyBoy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Play what? Walk-around-the-block-without-sweating-through-your-shirt? Is that a game?

I suspect Houston's on here because it's not feeling the effects of the housing bubble bursting or the recession, at least to the same extent. Oil towns tend to thrive when gas is $4 a gallon. In that regard, I would be very sad to see the Chronicle join the massive layoffs trend (could still happen if Hearst is feeling a pinch elsewhere in the chain).

In Houston you can still A) buy a house at a reasonable price (I'm sorry, but those 2 bedroom/1 bath cottages that I see people buying on HDTV for $700 k on the west coast were NEVER worth $700k), B) get a job at a wage that allows you to afford said houses and C) Go find something to do. Don't have a mountain? I'm sure they have rock climbing walls somewhere.

I agree with the general consensus here that Houston ain't all that. But with the rest of the country teetering economically, Houston wins almost by default.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Des Moines is #9.

Take that Omaha! ;D

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I just want to know who told them Fayetteville has 400k people...

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just about everywhere I've ever lived has been as hot or hotter than Houston, but that's not an issue with me. What is an issue about Houston is having to drive a half-hour to do just about anything. I can live without that ...

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No way. They're using the four-county metro numbers, but I believe Springdale is on the cusp of passing Fayetteville, and Rogers is catching up fast. Fayetteville is kind of land-locked by smaller towns on three sides and Springdale to the north.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers_Metropolitan_Area

But at least Fayetteville has some character. The rest of NWA has kind of a suburban blandness.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I rank Houston somewhere below Blythe.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but above denver.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Even since Gilley's closed???

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

touche, dude. touche.

10. Sorry to the Houston backers, but I find the city has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn. and that's coming from the smartest republican i know.

(sorry, old tony. lyman has some good stuff. politically wrong? yes. but still good.)

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

What they forgot to say was "Top 10 cities to live, work and play in if you're a hard-core religious conservative." Between two Mormon strongholds, the well-represented Bible Belt cities and the kooks in the Springs, that list doesn't leave a lot of room for the rest of us.

Draft saved Draft deleted