1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston eatery suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm going to Houston on Thursday for about a week for the Transplant Games of America. I'm looking for great eats on my non-profit's dime. SportsJournalists.com made strong suggestions for Grand Rapids, Michigan two years ago for the same event. I hopeful to get the same for Houston.

And if you're a Houston media-type looking for a great story, check out that link. There will be 2,500 great stories to share between Saturday and Tuesday.
  2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Gotta do BBQ:
    Hit Goode Company
    5109 Kirby Dr

Then check out Luling City Market:
    Address: 4726 Richmond Ave, Houston, TX 77027
    Phone:(713) 871-1903

Grab a burger at Lankford Grocery:
    Address: 88 Dennis St, Houston, TX 77006

Get some Mexican (not as tex-mex, category) at Teala's (My money for best churros and margaritas in town. Though I haven't sampled every margarita):
    Address: 3210 W Dallas St, Houston, TX 77019

Grab a drink and some dessert at The Chocolate Bar:
    Address: 2521 University Blvd
    Phone: 713.520.8888

Houston's a great town to eat in (my favorite town to eat/drink in that I've been to, at least in the US). A million places that'd treat you well. But those are some suggestions.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is a chain called Pappa's that does everything -- steak (Pappa Bros.), Cajun (Pappadeaux's), seafood (Pappa's), Mexican (Pappasito's) and I am probably missing some others.

Pappadeaux's is fantastic. And the last time I was there, Pappa's had some kind of insane all-you-can-eat lobster deal during the middle of the week, and that was good too.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'll second Goode Co. BBQ, and throw in that there is also the Goode Co. Taqueria at 4902 Kirby Dr and Goode Co. Seafood, 2621 Westpark Dr. The three are within a few blocks of each other in the West University area, near Rice University.

I've never had a bad plate of food at any of the three. The pecan pie at the BBQ is to die for. Taqueria does excellent Tex-Mex, and wonderful breakfasts as well. Huevos con Chorizo, Quail and Eggs, yummy stuff.

Seafood in Houston is generally good, it's only an hour from the gulf.

Link will get you the various locations and a look at the menu. Good honest food, not overly expensive.

Captain Benny's - casual, beside the freeway seafood, oysters on the half shell, fried shrimp and catfish, gumbo, cold beer. Belly up to the oyster bar and chow down. Literally. Several of them around town.

For fine dining, Rainbow Lodge. The food and service are wonderful, and the decor... the best description I know of was in a review many years ago that said it "Looks like a Victorian hairdresser's hunting lodge". It's right on Buffalo Bayou not far from Memorial Park, and it's a big rough-hewn beam place that would look at home in Aspen, furnished with all sorts of antiques. Great food. I would particularly push the Sunday Brunch, it's fabulous. Last time I was there for the brunch they had a string quartet in the balcony playing chamber music.

I left Houston better than 25 years ago, and all of these are favorites of mine who stood the test of time and are still open. In a town with that many good places to eat, that tells you something.

I would also second any of the Pappa's/Pappadeux/Pappacita's, those are dead nuts reliable.

If you get the chance to do the brunch at Goode Co. Taqueria or at Rainbow Lodge on Sunday... if I were there I'd hit those myself. Very good indeed.

A late addition: Brennan's. http://www.brennanshouston.com/
    High end fine dining. Think Commander's Palace in New Orleans and you're in the right league. Southwest/Creole. You better have something on your hip besides a patch of skin though, its the kind of place where they don't put the price on the menu.

LOL one more old favorite:

Tila's (which is different from Teala's above)
    On Shepherd in River Oaks. Scrumptious Mexican.
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If you make it down to Kemah (the bayside resort halfway between Houston and Galveston), hit T-Bone Tom's for a steak and some Armadillo Eggs (deep fried jalapenos stuffed with barbecue brisket).

And there are dozens of places in Houston you can get a chicken fried steak the size of your steering wheel. Here are a few:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh god. Chicken fried steak and cream gravy. :eek:

There's some good food in Alabama, but you just can't get those.

Guess I'm off to check Southwest's price on round trip tickets...
  7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

Love all of the suggestions, especially the list of places to get chicken fried steak, Pappa's/Pappadeux/Pappacita's and Goode Co. I've also had good meals at:

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Only problem with dining in Houston is you'll need wheels. Definitely a car culture.

Best description of Houston I've ever seen was it's got L.A.'s traffic with Calcutta's climate.

Anyway, here's another endorsement for the Pappadeaux/Pappacitas etc. Great food, excellent service.
  9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Skip Goode & Co. BBQ. Not good. Head to Brooks Family BBQ at 3602 Scott St.

Local Foods in Rice Village

Got lots of cash? Go to Palm Restaurant at 6100 Westheimer

Kenny & Ziggy's Delicatessen in the Galleria area

I could go on for days. Enjoy the great eats!
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Houston is a good eating town. Hard to go wrong.
Draft saved Draft deleted