1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston Chronicle "position-elimination program"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Oct 23, 2007.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Sorry, Fenian, but you can't take what they ain't got.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've reread my post 18 times. I see no mention of MY testicles, since, you know, they don't exist.

3. Read and weep

Read and weep Member

"Dear Chronicle Employees:

In this complex and competitive information and media environment, with consumer choices multiplying daily, our new strategic plan calls for more resources to be dedicated to new technology and product development. We need to operate differently, and at less cost, as we continue to build our lineup of products to capture more audience and ad revenue market share."
    Jack Sweeney

So.....Mr. Sweeney, presumably a smart man since has risen to such a prominent position, plans to throw MORE resources to new technology and product development. Sounds like a grand idea! Mr. Sweeney also wants to BUILD his lineup of products and capture MORE audience. Bravo, once again, Mr. Sweeney, a splendid plan! Genius-like, in fact.
    And to accomplish this growth and to do more, our intrepid Mr. Sweeney has huddled with his management team and determined the best strategy is ... CUTTING THE FUCKING STAFF.
    How do these idiots face themselves in the mirror?
    Scum and idiots. And they are ruining our industry.

4. Flash and IJAG --
    What is it, national Be Too Literal Week?
    Yeesh.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Dear staff,

In light of the cutbacks please remember to work smarter, not ha ...

(gnashing of teeth, death, pillaging, explosions, wailing, glass breaking, anguish)

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, there's more than one "chick" in Canada, Fenian. Flash is not Cansportschick.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

"Llama fisting?"

Eeech.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

No harm done. Just don't do it again Fenian ;) ;D I am definitely not Flash by a long shot.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's as close to non-bullshit as I've seen. It's certainly more direct than "downsizing" or "rightsizing."

11. txscoop

txscoop Member

I heard the SA Express is doing the same thing.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Makes me want to start up-chucking.

Draft saved Draft deleted