1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston Chronicle offering buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnoopyBoy, Sep 5, 2008.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

There will be unfilled positions in Beaumont, but none in sports.

2. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Looks like the hammer fell in H-Town today. Some very talented people got clipped. Don't know about sports, but I think they lost some desk help.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

FYI. Beaumont also recently cut 17, laying off the press crew and outsourcing it to Houston. Great for deadlines.

4. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

Over-under on the last printed newspaper in America?

I've got seven years, but it's a weekly.

5. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

I'm betting it won't be the one we're talking about here.

Word is that they're handing over their Texas A&M coverage to the San Antonio Express-News. The beat guy's reward? Moved to desk.

Heck of a job, indeed.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

That actually is a logical move that should've been made a few years ago.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Nope. Over. Small papers (dailies with < circ 15K) will stay, if for nothing else than to keep town/city/village government honest and to run all the "Oh look, Johnny Turdfucker's at Siena College!" briefs.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

So the beat guy got moved to the desk. At least he still has a job.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I hate the move. It makes the Chronicle look small-time not to cover the giant Division-I University down the road ... especially when Houston probably has one of the biggest bases of A&M-exes in the state.

More than that, a paper based in San Antonio isn't going to cover the team the same way a paper based in Houston will. Tne local angles are different.

I guess in this day and age, it's anything to save a buck, and maybe the cost-reduction is worth the trade-off here. I just think it sucks and it's sad.

10. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Makes no sense. Then again, nothing does in this field these days.

11. batts

batts Member

E-N guy, Brent Zwerneman, lives in College Station. He's the one who broke the story on Fran's secret newsletter last year, so the Chron won't suffer using his copy.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Terrence Harris got moved to desk?

Draft saved Draft deleted