1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston Chronicle offering buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnoopyBoy, Sep 5, 2008.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Chronicle looking to reduce 80 full-time employees...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/5983322.html

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I wonder what kind of buyout package they are offering. The standard two weeks per year of service?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

If Houston is offering, won't be long before th other Hearst papers such as San Antonio, follow. Damn.

4. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Doubtful they'll get the 80 needed for buyout, which means there's going to be some whacking. I'm guessing sports will take a hit.

5. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Didn't the former Houston Chronicle sports editor take a buyout not too long ago? I wonder if he's back in the business yet.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Any names leaking out, Sports-wise?

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

Yes he did, no he isn't, he's doing sports talk radio in H-town, much happier too.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The Hearst beat goes on. Seven layoffs announced Wednesday in Beaumont, one in the newsroom (the outdoors guy in sports).

Good times.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't know him but my heart goes out to him. What about San Antonio and Midland. Any word of cutbacks at those outposts?

10. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Outdoors writers are going to become almost as rare as horse-racing writers. And golf writers.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Getting rid of those positions is one thing. Getting rid of the people who man those positions is another. Just because someone fills a role that a boss put them in doesn't mean that the person should be whacked. Rearrange the furniture, at least.

I'd add takeout writers and "national" beats to MMatt60's endangered species list, as belts really get tightened.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't think there are any in Midland. They have filled all of their recent sports openings.

Draft saved Draft deleted