1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houston Chronicle has a new baseball beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Sep 25, 2012.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Brian T. Smith, the Utah Jazz beat writer for the Salt Lake Tribune, announced on his Facebook page that he's been hired by the Houston Chronicle to cover baseball. Good hire, great guy.

Wonder if this now opens an NBA job in Utah.

2. While the Tribune plans on filling the spot, the Jazz beat has been filled internally

3. JPsT

JPsT Member

Could still be an opening as Michael C. Lewis (Colleges, Olympics, soccer) is leaving as well.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Shame he couldn't land a Major League beat.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Congrats to Bill Oram for getting the Jazz beat.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

On second thought, I'm redacting my post. I never worked with him, so I can't verify how "great" a guy he is or if he's an asshole.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Plus, he has to live in Houston.

8. writingump

writingump Member

Let's hope he's still not backstabbing fellow employees as he did during his time in Bristol. And no, I'm not bitter because I was the guy he backstabbed. I've come out in a better place from where he and the managing editor did the old 1-2 punch. I just think there's another side that people need to know.
    I've kept quiet about this for more than four years because I didn't think it served a worthwhile purpose (and maybe it still doesn't). But when you keep seeing people describe him as a good guy and you've experienced another side which clearly shows he isn't, well, there's only so much one can take.
    Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

9. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

As someone who has worked with Brian and known him for quite some time, I'd say you're an isolated incident. Didn't find that to be the case.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sad to see Zach Levine leaving that Astros beat. He's one of the better newspaper beat writers around these days.

11. Lathered

Lathered New Member

That's a huge stretch about Chronicle guy. He got scooped on pretty much every major story on that beat.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Man, we got some vitriol workin' on this thread! Backstabbers, incompetents .................. sweet!

Draft saved Draft deleted