1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houseboy Brooks, Ignoring Obvious Relevant Facts, Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

[​IMG]

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

That statement is made in the U.S. media, over and over again, as if it is as factual as the sun rising in the morning and setting in the evening: "The surge is working." But just because the MSM has parroted the talking points of the Bush administration and John McCain's campaign in making such an assertion, it does not make it true.

A report released by the U.S. Government Accounting Office (GAO) yesterday does something that McCain and the White House probably wish would not be done: actually evaluating progress in Iraq against the goals the administration laid out in January 2007 when undertaking the surge.

And guess what? The surge is not working:

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d08837.pdf

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You might want to tell that to the reporters who have actually been to Iraq lately. Sadly, they can't get their stories up any more than Page 19.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Some additional fair commentary:

http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/06/surge_protection.html

5. old_tony

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/CalThomas/2008/06/24/progress_so_what?page=full&comments=true

Exactly what I've been saying.

The left is heavily invested in defeat. Facts that show we're not being defeated must be downplayed.

6. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Exactly. Just like in Vietnam. Turns out we were actually winning the war, but all that news was downplayed so the left could claim defeat.

One other thing -- how do I turn on that blue font?

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

OT, I'll ask one simple question:

Accepting that the surge has stabilized Baghdad, now what?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some new curtains and a coat of paint?

9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Republican philosophy:

2003-2007: Things are going poorly, so we must stay in Iraq.
    2008: Things are going well, so we must stay in Iraq.

10. old_tony

Sadly, you're much more correct than you know. [blue] But better to be right on accident than wrong on purpose, I guess.[/blue]

11. old_tony

And that's a whole lot better than the Democratic philosophy:

1968-present: Whether things are going well or poorly, we must never fight the bad guys.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

To say the least . . . because Cal Thomas writes something, doesn't make it so.

These guys showed endless confidence in people who, in the final analysis, didn't have clue ONE as to just what they were getting into.

Include me out.

Draft saved Draft deleted