1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Houseboy Brooks, Ignoring Obvious Relevant Facts, Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/opinion/24brooks.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Brooks, at his syncophantic worst.

Bush and Cheney went for the Surge because prior to the Surge, they looked like complete and total dolts, and had, for years. With the Surge, there was a chance that in the future, they might not look like such dolts.

Why not take the shot? It wasn't their family money. It wasn't their children in harm's way.

Easy choice to make, when you're an irresponsible, smirking brat.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

You want a sycophant? Then read Cohen in today's WaPo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/23/AR2008062301829.html

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The surge is finally working, so lay off. Just the other day the N.Y. Times had a story that the Mobils and Texacos and all the rest now are getting back their leases in Iraq that Saddam took away from them.

It's heartening to know that we weren't fighting for nothing after all.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

If I purposely start a fire, and then put part of it out myself, do I get a reward?

Brooks conveniently ignores the part where the surge was only necessary because Bush got us into Iraq in the first place. But, hey, nevermind. That's in the past.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

C'mon, andy, you are being too hard on W and Brooks.

Trial and error is a terrific way to learn stuff.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

no need to read a word... this is the rube who ripped the legendary Colbert monologue at the WH dinner.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Better the New York Times uses their conservative quota hires on morons and liars than on someone who is a legitimate and independent thinker.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If he'd written the same kind of column about Obama, you'd be cheering.

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

So ... if he wrote a column saying Obama shouldn't be criticized, and could get away with flip-flopping and outright lies, because he was a POW, I'd cheer. Fine. You got me. If that happened, I'd cheer. Hooray, fictitious POW Obama!

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Before Bush proposed it, many Dems were pushing a troop surge (and then suddenly were against it).

Harry Reid is one of the biggest culprits.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

That Cohen column was all kinds of stupid bizaro logic.

McCain can flip flop because he's been tortured in a Vietnam prison, but Obama can't because we don't know how far he'll go for his principals. That's probably the dumbest thing I've seen written this campaign. McCain signed the "confession" the Vietnamese put in front of him, and regretted it every since. But who can blame him for signing the thing? I'd sign the fucker too, if they were beating me like they beat him. Probably is a second. How does that logic translate into "It's ok for him to reverse himself, because there are some things he won't do?" -

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

OK, we get it. The surge is working and you all are pissed.

Draft saved Draft deleted