1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

House plants

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Dude, that was awesome.

2. Ashamed to admit, but I've actually killed a few succulents.

Once on a REALLY hot day, I bought one and had it in the car for a few hours. Even with the windows open, it wilted in the heat and never really recovered after I got it home and planted it.

Another one, I don't know if I watered it enough or if it didn't get enough light in my yard, but it was getting sort of wilted out there. So I moved it inside to try to get it some different light and tried watering it a bit more, but I couldn't save it.

I think I actually underwater my succulents because everybody always tried to impress on me not to overwater them.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Focker.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My wife is better at killing plants -- indoors or out -- than anyone I've ever seen. So bad, in fact, that I scream "murder" whenever she even looks at a plant or potting equipment.

=====

And I can't believe no one here's made a pot joke. Jeez. You people are slipping.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Maybe Jones has a story to tell, you know, as soon as he gets done terrorizing the neighborhood kids.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have killed every plant I ever owned, until one recently. One was a cactus. I had bought it for my mom when I was in 2nd grade at a school sale. When my dad sold his house he wanted me to have it. It took me 6 months to kill this plant that had grown humungous and thrived for 25 to 30 years. It depressed the hell out of me, because my mom is dead, and I felt like I had done her wrong.

My one success story is a bamboo plant. It was given to me as a gift about 5 yeras ago. It is in my office. I water it every day (my motto first thing is that I don't drink until it drinks) and it sits in the sun. It has really thrived and grown large. I am proud of it. Plus bamboo plants are supposed to be good luck.

7. i look at pictures

i look at pictures New Member

I kill plants like no other. I even kill other people's plants. Subletting an apartment a few summers ago, I promptly and effectively killed the owner's herb garden.

My sister, on the other hand, has had the same damn plant (even after moving across the country a few times) since she graduated undergrad 6 years ago.

I did keep a beta alive for 2 years, but he wasn't a plant.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

[​IMG]

Snake plants. They don't need much light at all.

Cacti need a LOT of light to be happy. And the soil needs to drain well, otherwise almost any water might hurt them. They're actually pretty easy to kill.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted