1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

House passes global warming bill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

did I mention them as being biased?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Since I referred to them, and not the EPA, in my initial comment, I would think you would have commented upon that which I pointed out, not that which I didn't.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

It's more reliable than wind and solar because it's consistent and therefore extra power doesn't have to be stored.

Hydroelectric usually requires the damming of a river and creation of a reservoir. It was popular in the 1930s and 1940s -- the TVA was built on hydro power -- but land acquisition and the building of the dam are the costs. Cost-wise, it would be similar to the creation of a wind or solar farm, because the bulk of the cost is borne in land acquisition. However, the power created is more consistent and far cheaper than wind/solar, because of the consistency of the power created. Our electric grid doesn't just need power, it needs consistent power without spikes or slow periods. Wind/solar are inconsistent and therefore require storage for excess power generated, which is *very* costly.

Nuclear is the cheapest, cleanest option for "green" power, but it isn't a popular option.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

From what I've heard, France has had some success with nuclear power. If that is the case, could that be used as a persuasion to follow down that path?

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what happens to that water after it's been turned into electricity? Because if the answer isn't "People drink it," then it won't work. Because there are large swaths of the country that already don't have enough water.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Large, very populated swaths -- such as California, which has a shitload of water nearby (you might have heard of it) but can't get enough approval from, well, anybody, to build the type of desal plants that could turn that big blue blob on the map into potable drinking water.

(By "anybody", I don't just mean environmentalists, either.)

7. crimsonace

Much of the water from reservoirs is used to provide both power and drinking water to a region.

Hoover Dam, for example, pretty much allowed for the irrigation of the entire Southwest. The whole point of FDR's TVA was to allow for both hydropower and drinking water to what was the nation's most impoverished area during the Depression (and, of course, government construction jobs).

The water goes through a turbine as it passes through a dam to generate the electricity and the resulting reservoir created by the dam can be turned into drinking water.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Worst thing about this bill -- including the fact that it is a regressive tax and they are doing everything they can not to call it that -- is that it isn't being done righteously, because it is a bunch of corrupt politicians using environmentalism (who is against that?!?!) to line their campaign chests and to hand out favors to benefit their friends, at the expense of everyone else.

If you were going to do this, obviously the fairest way would be to rely on auctions to distribute emissions permits, with some kind of mechanism built in so that in the future others can be eligible for the permits instead if they could make more competitive bids. But that bill could never pass in our pay-for-play political system, so this bill is 1,200 pages of BS, that grants special favors to those who need to be bought off to shove it through.

It includes giving away 85 percent of the permits (guess who gets them, and where money for political influence has been passing hands?), imposes a ridiculously complex set of regulatory policy--that is really special favors in the guise of regulation--that will keep lawyers, not competitive industry, in business, and is filled with loopholes: for example, companies can buy CO2 offsets instead of reducing emissions or buying permits by doing things like planting trees.

Even without the loopholes, all this is, is giving a competitive advantage to some handpicked companies that bought off a bunch of politicians. And it comes at all of our expense, because the best-run, most innovative companies aren't rewarded in that kind of environment, it is the ones with the lobbyists who pass around the most cash.

What will come next , if this thing really goes into effect, is protectionism. It's so predictable, because the same script (without environmentalism as the smokescreen) has played out so many times in Washington D.C. Legislation that gives unfair, advantage to a few--some special interests--at the expense of others drive up costs here, because our elected officials can be bought--they need that money to have their own power. We can't even evaluate the environmental impact; it is going to be impossible to compare our CO2 policy to other country's policies because we went with a ridiculous mess with loopholes and favors that doesn't line up to anything else anyone else is doing.

When costs become prohibitive here, the next thing will be for industries arguing for tariffs to "protect domestic jobs" and the same corrupt politicians who created that problem will be there ready for their payoffs from those industries. In turn, they will pass legislation that favors their new corporate buddies (tariffs, subsidies, whatever it takes to rake in their campaign cash), and guess who will pay? American workers and consumers.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ragu if you limited your posts to 3 paragraphs, I believe that you would be able to elimanate 3 % of the world's green gases.

10. crimsonace

There is actually protectionism built into the bill. A 25% tariff on any imports from nations that are known polluters.

China and India are planning retaliation.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Crimson, The protectionism I meant is more insidious. They are going to drive up costs here and then do the same corrupt practice of being bought off by their hand-picked industries under the guise of protecting jobs. So we will get a 1,200 page bill that imposes tariffs or gives subsidies that give special advantages somewhere at the expense of everyone else -- and again, Joe Sixpack pays.

If anyone wants to do some interesting forensics, as an example of these kinds of pay-for-play policies, figure out why sugar costs two to three times in the U.S. than it does in the rest of the world (but not corn syrup, which would be more expensive to produce and couldn't compete with sugar in a competitive marketplace).

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is one of my biggest problems with the whole thing. At the end of the day, none of this legislation will do a damn thing to solve the "problem" it's supposed to.
    The companies that are polluting will still pollute. They'll just pay a little more to do it -- to the federal government or other organizations that sell "carbon offsets". The same amount of CO2 is still getting pumped into the air, the same dirty cash is still changing hands. It's just more of the same corruption with better PR.
    And how many trees can you plant? Where are you planting them? Where will these huge swaths of newly forested lands be located? Won't that create its own set of problems, some of them environmental?

Draft saved Draft deleted