1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

House overrides farm bill veto...oh wait

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, May 21, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

House, as expected, voted to override Bush's farm-bill veto. But it doesn't count because the bill they sent him omitted an entire section. They'll now have to repass it, and he'll have to veto it again, and they'll have to override it again.

According to the AP:

Seriously? Parchment? Hopefully everyone remembers their powdered wigs when they turn up tomorrow.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

They still use parchment paper for bills, deskslave. A friend of mine who works for a midwestern governor clued in me on that when I asked her today about the snafu.

Nice job Congress of shooting yourselves in the foot en route to overriding a veto.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh, I figured they did. I just found it ridiculously anachronistic. And probably unnecessarily expensive, for that matter.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

With the price of everything these days, I'm not surprised that many of them hasn't converted to using recycled paper. My bosses finally caved in and brought in recycle bins and purchased boxes of affordable recycles.

My friend thinks her boss (the Gov) needs to take his head out of Hillary's ass and get with the program and ditch parchment paper.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I mean, I can understand not wanting to print the things on low-grade, thin, crappy paper. But parchment seems to swing way too far to the other side. Maybe print the final version on, I dunno, that resume paper they sell at Kinko's, but for the copies that just get handed out, use recycled stuff.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus christ. are you really condoning laying off 90 percent of all parchment paper makers? think of the impact that'd have on our economy.

maybe you should think a little harder before asking for something, because you just might receive it.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Can't Bush just do one of his signing statements to add the parts they wanted and then veto the sumbitch anyway?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, it'll give them a little less time to pass the Frank Sinatra Day bill.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Congress fucked up and sent him the wrong bill. Let them fix it.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Fucking Democrats.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When the GOP held Congress, Bush could do signing statements to his heart's content and thus avoid having to veto anything. He could interpret the law to his liking and Congress be damned. He was King Fredo.

Well, that all changed two years ago.

As Bush himself said in 2006 vis-a-vis the Fisa law ... "It's a different world."

Damn skippy.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Disclosure: T_P is the parliamentarian for Federated Parchmen of America Local 6969 ...

Draft saved Draft deleted