1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

House hunting — the highs and lows and Hoozahs (an update)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 23, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Deal officially fell through. I'm going to Vegas with my buddies to drown my sorrows in blackjack chips.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I feel for you man. House hunting (and the buying process) can be a rip your still beating heart out of your chest and stick a spoon in it repeatedly while singing Justin Bieber lyrics kind of experience.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Only a journalist could write it that well.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Here's one heck of an update:

So I've continued to look for houses and condos. Checked out 10 properties over the last few months and none have fit the bill. While driving to a friends house yesterday I noticed the old condo I nearly bought has been foreclosed on. There was a notice in the window, so I called the company that now owns the home. An agent told me it will be listed as a foreclosure soon and he will call me. The private mortgage insurance is no longer a hurdle as the loan has been sold to a new bank as part of the foreclosure process.

I want to buy the condo still. But I no longer have the same real estate agent who showed me the condo originally. Am I legally obligated to buy the home with her since she showed it to me before I fired her? Or can I enter an offer with my new real estate agent.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I know nothing about the foreclosure process. I know rules may be different by the state (I'm in Michigan if that matters).

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

You're not obligated at all. You didn't sign a contract with your agent (assuming), so you're not beholden to them. And you know what-fuck 'em for not having that property (and you) in mind when it came up in foreclosure notices.

I'm still scratching my head over someone buying a house with 0 down and having a $7500 PMI bill. If you don't have at least 20% down to buy a house, you have no business whatsoever buying one, period.

6. maberger

maberger Member

as long as you've got no contract with the prior agent, you should be clean and green?

how was the 'drowning your sorrows in blackjack chips' vegas trip?

7. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I think that's an oversimplification.

First, depending on where you live, a journalist trying to save for 20 percent of the purchase price could take the length of a 30 year mortgage to do so.

Second, with the volatility of the housing market and the looming possibility of a double dip, why would you want to tie up all that liquidity in a home? Even if I have 20 percent to put down, I'm going to put down as little as I can and hold onto my cash, just in case.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree that if you don't have 20 percent -- which is a small amount of equity -- home ownership shouldn't be for you.

That is one beauty of co-op living in New York. In a co-op, you buy an apartment, but what you are really doing is buying shares in the building, and the building acts as a corporation. You have voting rights based on your shares, and shareholders elect a board of directors from among the shareholders who make many decisions for the entire building by proxy.

The reason I bring up co-ops is that they have a lot of rules for potential buyers and for sellers who already own. And the minimum you will find for percentage of equity in a co-op is 25 percent. It makes for really strong buildings all things being equal, because when you have that much tied up in your place, you care more about maintaining its value. Many co-ops require greater than 25 percent down, and even in ones that don't, many people have more equity in their places than they do in other parts of the country.

The real estate market in New York City has been hit, to a degree, just like everywhere else, but I believe it has held up much more strongly because there are so many co-ops and so many require that greater percentage of equity from owners. Only people truly ready to buy homes and have the financial standing can by. Apartment prices have held up remarkably well given the housing situation in this country.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's been a while, but I'm returning with good news. Since I last posted, I dumped my real estate agent. Hired a new lady who took me to look at about 40 properties across the past 6 months.

This summer I put in an offer in on a condo, but the seller and I couldn't come to terms. Kept looking at properties and finally purchased a house a week ago (when I was on a roadtrip in Iowa). Spent most of my trip negotiating, but as most of you know, Iowa sucks, so I didn't miss much.

My mortgage has since gone through and I am just waiting for an appraisal to be completed so I can get my closing date. I should be all moved in by Christmas. Glad to have the stressful part over. The negotiating almost took the life out of me.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Mazel tov, Mustang.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Congrats, yo!

12. tardreedo

tardreedo Member

Been officially looking to get into my first house and been looking at Zillow and Redfin for places. According to those sites, it looks like everything that fits within my tidy price range, though, is a short sale. And judging by what Mustang went through, the short sale process totally and completely blows. My apartment lease runs out in June 2012 so I have some time, but it sounds like with how slow everything moves and the entire process prone to unforseen problems, sounds like I should get moving on this yesterday. Luckily, my bro-in-law is a financial advisor and his mortgage guy is someone he's known since they were about 10 years old. I've also got a friend who is a real estate agent, but they're not in my area, but I'll at least be able to pick their brain for stuff. Should be an interesting next few months.

Draft saved Draft deleted