1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hotter 'n hell...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Runners, as a whole, are a somewhat nutty group. This group takes it to a whole new level of dipshittery.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There's a lot of off-the-charts races out there.

In Colorado, there's a 100-miler called the Hardrock 100 contested at altitude with massive elevation change, including going over 14,000-plus peaks.

Lots of off-the-charts races for cyclists, too.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's also a subset called adventure racing, in which teams have to complete a course (anywhere from 10 to 100 miles) that contains a variety of tasks and covers a bunch of different types of terrain. Part of it is running, some might be canoeing through a swamp, a few miles might be basic hiking or cycling. Each race also has a "special" segment that uses different wilderness skills.
    These things are pretty intense. Some of the higher-level races last several days.

4. MileHigh

Yup. My sister and brother-in-law did one of those. My brother-in-law also created a bike race -- I think it's 400 or 500 miles -- along the Colorado Trail that he's training for and starts in three weeks. Completely self-supported (beyond Badwater, you can't even have a support crew to aid you) that went from Denver to Durango, but this year (seventh year), they're going the opposite way, depending on how the fires affect things.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, that depends on how you do Vegas. In my younger days it could have rained pigs and I wouldn't have known. No weather worries on the dice tables.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Those races are strangely popular with runners, and it's also strange how much interest there is in the events' progress and in the winners.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Your brother-in-law is a crazy-ass cracker.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You think Dallas is bad, try Houston or New Orleans. Ball soup.

Last time I visited California, it was 120º in Palm Springs. I drove out there the next day in part just to see what 120º felt like, but it got up to "only" 108º that day. Bummer.

The funny thing is, the weather can be ass everywhere else, and in Texas it's fucking beautiful. Tonight we may dip into the 50s for lows and the highs may not break 90º all week. It's July.

9. MileHigh

Ha, a little bit. I've known him since he was a kid, when he was doing black diamonds before he hit 13. He's doing some intense training now. Rode up Pikes Peak yesterday, then was going to ride around the base of the mountain today. He's gone up Longs Peak more times than I know. Big-time rock climber. And this Colorado Trail race started with like five or six. Last year, it was up to 75.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Members of my cycling club did Pikes today. One of them did it twice. They're spending four days riding it each day.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That much we can agree on. The Badwater ultra-marathoners are the craziest of the crazy.

Fact is, there is no good time to hold that event. If you did it in cooler months, it likely ends with runners freezing running through ice and snow. Do it in warmer months and it likely begins with runners in searing 100 plus degree heat.

So might as well do it mid-summer. Just make sure to start it extremely early in the morning before the Death Valley sun gets unbearable.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

But it's a dry heat. [\sarcasm]

Draft saved Draft deleted