1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hotter 'n hell...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 28, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...they don't call it Death Valley for nothing...but will it set the record this weekend?

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2013/06/is_death_valley_going_for.php

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No. Not that I believe that's the actual record anyway. But, yes, it's hot as f*** out here. And it sucks.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't have all the global warming/climate change data, but it definitely FEELS hotter, just about everywhere, than summers did 20-30 years ago.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Badwater ultramarathon starts July 15. I hope there's a cool snap (down to the low 100s) by then.

5. Urban heat island?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What dipshit came up with the idea of running a marathon in mid-July in 100+ degree heat??

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Been around for 30-some years, starting at the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere in Death Valley and finishing at the highest point in the Lower 48 (Mount Whitney), but it has been revised over the years and it ends at the Whitney Portal, at about 8,000 feet.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Alert the media! It's hot in the desert!

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sounds interesting. But couldn't they do it in, say, March or April. Seriously, running a marathon in that kind of heat can lead to deaths.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

AP photographer files dispatch from Death Valley town of Furnace Creek, temperature 128.

http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_23566910/what-128-degrees-feels-like-report-from-death

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's sort of what the desert south of Marjeh felt like. A hairdryer to the face, day and night.

I remember checking the temperature after a mission at 0300 -- 38C. Just brutal.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The heat is part of the challenge.

Each runner has to have a support vehicle and team with them. Plus it's an ultra, so the runners know what to expect and are prepared for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted