1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hotel recommendations for Montreal? <Update, now looking for things to do>

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jun 25, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Howdy all,

I'm heading to Montreal for the weekend of September 11th-14th. Any advice for places to stay? Two of us will be staying in a hotel, the third is crashing with some family members.

We're looking for something relatively cheap (maybe $75-$125 per night), something close to some attractions/fun things to do and something relatively close to the Centre Bell Arena.

Any advice about places to stay (we've got our eyes on either Hotel St Denis, Comfort Hotel and Suites Downtown, or the Holiday Inn Airport Saint-Laurent right now) or places to avoid would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: Hotel recommendations for Montreal?

Whatever's close to a strip joint or sex club.[/jr]

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Do not stay by the airport. It is a pain in the ass to get downtown - $40 cab ride each way.

Stay downtown so you can walk around and take in the sights. I usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn but it is showing around 160 per night right now and it is close to St Catherines Road.

Vive le contact dance...

4. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I think we stayed at the Sheraton Downtown. I loved Montreal, although I'm sure it's a much nicer place to visit in the summer than winter!

5. schiezainc

We're driving up there with a friend's car so the travel won't be too bad but generally how far is downtown from the airport?

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

It is probably at least a 20 minute drive, more in traffic.

If you are drinking at all then there is also that to worry about.

I don't know what your plans are but I would think it would be more of a hassle to drive downtown than stay downtown.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

I agree - don't stay at airport - you're missing the best of montreal if you are way out there

there's tons of small hotels in Montreal - in older buildings, but perfectly located and reasonably priced

Do the internet thing and I'm sure you can find one easily enough

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Check Travelocity - I've been floored at how cheap hotels in Montreal have been as of late. And stay as close to Crescent Street as you can.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Place d'Armes, in Vieux Montréal. Beautifully designed, usually runs about $150 Canadian a night, close to everything.

10. schiezainc

Ok all,

So I've got a couple of days before my friends and I take off to Montreal.

We're staying at the Sandman Hotel and apart from taking in a wrestling PPV Sunday night at the Bell Center, we've got an open slate and are looking for fun/exciting things to do.

I'm particularly interested in (ahem) gentlemen's clubs. Any recommendations? We're probably going to one of these on either Friday or Saturday night. The rest of the time will be spent sightseeing/general goofing off.

FWIW, I like sightseeing and am a big sports fan/good music fan.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

11. McCrank

McCrank Member

Go to Schwartz's Deli for the smoked meat. It's not corned beef and it's not pastrami. It's their own recipe and maybe the best sandwich I've ever had. There will probably be a line, but it moves quickly.

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/

If you're willing to spend a little more money, Gibby's is great for dinner, in Old Montreal.

http://www.gibbys.com/

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When I was in Montreal for the draft we went to Dunn's deli on Metcalfe St.

http://www.dunnsfamous.com/montreal_smoked_meat.htm

As for gentlemen's clubs, I went to two, Chez Paree and Gentlemen's Choice, and was not as thrilled with them as I was back in the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted