1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hotel Owner Charged With Racism Toward Employees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Oct 27, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You had me right up to that last part. It's his hotel. He has every right to speak whatever language he wants and ask his employees to speak to him in that language.

Asking them not to speak Spanish in front of him, however, is a bit much. Anglicizing their names is flat-out racist.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

El jefe es un pendejo.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Sounds like a real winner, this guy.

I can't help but think this could've all been avoided with some due diligence and advance intel. Assuming your way will always work, regardless of circumstances, is a recipe for failure.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Works better if you know what a pendejo is (I had to look it up).

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If he didn't want his employees to speak Spanish, why did he buy a hotel in a town where the majority of the people are Hispanic?

If he wants all his employees to speak English, then find employees whose mother tongue is English. Then the problem's solved. Or, as I said, learn Spanish. Pretty easy damn language to learn.

That's like me buying a hotel in Quebec and forbidding my staff to speak French.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Pingita would work just as well, I think.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

It's not exactly the same JR......Canada has 2 official languages.

In order for him to legally fire the workers that can't speak english, he'd have to post the job openings saying "English speaking required", interview his current staff and then let them go.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agreed.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Somebody should've hit him in the head with a tamale. Then played the race card.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ashy, yeah, but the Official Languages Act only applies to federal government services, the courts, federal publications ,etc.

My point is: you'd be out of your poutine-eating mind if you opened a business in Quebec, parts of Northern Ontario and New Brunswick and forced your staff to speak English only.

I think that's a fair comparable.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I thought Quebec had a ton of laws about speaking French and letting people speak French and the legality of kicking people who don't speak French?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah. I got cursed at for not speaking French. When cursed the salesperson back and said I was American, the tone was completely different. The take that French shit seriously in Quebec.

Draft saved Draft deleted