1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hotel advice for D.C. trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

TSP -- check your PMs.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I could always take the bus to the Metro stop. I just hope I am not making this too complicated -- I should make my library pay the big bucks!

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I love hanging out in Columbia Heights. Great places to party there.

4. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Adams Morgan is pretty wild, too, I hear.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

http://www.camelotshowbar.com/

Hottest girls in DC, but don't buy the line that they are Georgetown U and George Washington University students putting themselves through college. That's been an urban legend for 25 years

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

OK -- I'm back from my reconnaissance mission. TSP -- you owe me. I got stuck in horrendous rush hour/tourist traffic on my way home.

I drove past the Bloomingdale Inn. The block it's on and the Inn itself looked fine, and while the neighborhood is better than it used to be and is gentrifying, I don't think you should stay up there. There were lots of sketchy-looking blocks around it and there's nothing else up there. I think you could probably stand on the corner for an hour trying to hail a cab and not get one. I couldn't tell where the closest metro station was.

If you can get into either of the 2 places I PM'd you about, I think you'd be much happier in those neighborhoods.

It was fun going on a field trip. I was on streets I hadn't been on in many years, if ever.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

For anyone interested, I have booked a room at the Adam's Inn Bed + Breakfast for $99/night. I have to share a bathroom, but not the whole room, so mission accomplished! It is just a couple Metro stops from the Convention Center, so all is good.

Thanks to everyone who helped out, especially Ace, AgatePage, and especially Dyno who drove around D.C. to get a read on the neighborhoods. I owe you beers!!

Oh, and Moddy, the Tribe is in town that weekend to kick the Nats' collective asses, so I'll be attending one of those games (I hope).

8. Flying Headbutt

Madams Organ is supposed to be a kickass bar in that neighborhood.

I prefer Columbia Heights, which isn't too far away from Adams Morgan, though it's easier to take a cab across then the Metro, which goes down into town and comes back up. Wonderland is a pretty kickass bar over there.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

If it hasn't been recommended already, Sheraton National in Arlington is a steal if you find the right rate (mine was on Hotwire). The hotel was just renovated and the rooms are superb.

My room was high enough facing the west that I had a great view of the Virginia suburbs. The high-floor rooms facing the east have stunning DC views.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Too cramped and in my few visits there (yes, only a few) there were some girls that really weren't stripper-quality hot. For my money, the best place was Nexus (RIP).

Or maybe my judgment was just clouded by the unspeakably hot blonde Norwegian girl I saw there.

11. Flying Headbutt

I've gone to two such clubs in DC, including Camelot, and was completely unimpressed. Save your money.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It is. Gets very crowded, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted