1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hotel advice for D.C. trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 11, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's when we let it all out, baby!!

2. TheSportsPredictor

Would this be a decent place to stay?

Best Western Capital Beltway
    5910 Princess Garden Pkwy, Lanham, Maryland

3 miles from Washington DC and about 5 miles from Capitol Hill, and offers a metro shuttle

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

We stayed at the Willard Hotel for a nice long weekend. Great old hotel, lots of history, walking distance to the Mall, the White House.
    The Four Seasons in Georgetown is you've got huge money to spend.

There's a Marriott on upper Connecticutt Ave near the Zoo and Rock Creek Park that very nice.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

AVOID THIS LIKE ANAL PRISON RAPE.

It's a horrible neighborhood, violent and drug infested. Take it from a professional. NO WAY DO YOU STA IN Prince George's COUNTY.

5. TheSportsPredictor

Ah, yes, I see: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/28/AR2007032801265.html

Thanks for the advice!!!

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

What heyabbott said. DO NOT stay in PG County and pretty much as a rule of thumb, don't stay in NE or SE DC. Don't be lured in by the cheap rates.

7. TheSportsPredictor

Hmmmmmmmm, there's what looks like a nice bed + breakfast called The Bloomingdale Inn with good rates, located at 2417 First St. NW, about 1½ miles from the convention center. Maybe I'll try that.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

TSP -- I'm not sure how great that area is either, although from their website, it does sound nice. If I can, I'll do a drive by for you later today.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Dyno doesn't make it back, keep looking.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Ha! If it's where I think it is, a friend used to live around the corner and had to make friends with the dealers on the block so that she wouldn't get mugged on her way home. :)

11. TheSportsPredictor

Wow, you're the man, Dyno! Also looking at this one:

Intown Uptown Inn
    4907 14th St. NW

That one's 3½ miles from the convo center, but right next to a Metro stop (or so they say). The other is closer to the convo center, but a long walk to a Metro stop -- though maybe a cab ride would be cheap. But the first one has its own bathroom and the second has a shared bathroom AND a 27-inch flat-screen! They're the same price.

I think based on reviews I read online The Bloomingdale Inn is in a kinda shady area. The other I can't find anything negative about.

Bed & breakfast, here I come?

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm a woman, but thanks for the props anyway.

At the Bloomingdale, even if the immediate area has improved, I would not recommend walking to the Convention Center. I also don't know how easily you could get a cab over there.

As for the second one, I'm not familiar with the neighborhood, but it looks like it's 19 blocks from the metro (the B&B's address is 4907 14th Street and the Columbia Heights metro stop is at 3030 14th Street).

Draft saved Draft deleted