1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hotel advice for D.C. trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You don't have to be downtown if you are near a Metro stop.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hotel Williard.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There isn't. And it's like a $20 cab ride to the closest Metro station from Dulles.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Take a 45-minute drive up to Woodbridge, Va., and hang with the coolios there.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, he should be able to snag a room for $500 or so a night with a AAA discount.

6. Consider something in Tysons and riding the metro.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ask Daniel Snyder to put you up.

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

There are plenty of nice places down the highway. In Pentagon City, there's a Ritz if you want to spend the money; most of the Nats' opponents stay there. There are other hotels, and it's near a Metro stop.

If a Metro stop nearby is a must, look for someplace around National Airport. There are a few hotels somewhat near the Eisenhower Ave. stop, but you'd have a walk of about a mile or so. The problem with that is that the areas around Metro stops are usually residential.

There's a Hilton down the road on 395, and various other Best Westerns, etc.; plenty of good places to stay in Old Town Alexandria too. There's a chance all of these places are above your price range, but there are plenty of good options inside the Beltway without having to go all the way out to Tysons.

If you want to stay downtown near the Convention Center, do expect to pay for the privilege. Hotels on Capitol Hill and elsewhere in downtown (further from the CC) may also be an option if you want to look into that.

TSP, if you have specific ideas on location and price range, PM me and I'll get with the wife and we can try to help you out.

9. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

The Metro doesn't go to Tysons yet, unfortunately.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously TSP, look at a map. If you can snag a decent hotel downtown or anywhere along the red line (Connecticut Ave.) toward Chevy Chase you will be in a good neighborhood and will be fine.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

TSP, there are lots of tourists in DC throughout the spring and summer, so that may jack up rates for you. There are a lot of hotels in Arlington in Crystal City, near National Airport, so that might be a location option for you. The hotels are all within a few blocks of the metro and on the same line as the convention center.

As for staying in the District, I don't know what the hotel options are on Priceline, but you might want to take a look at the website www.biddingfortravel.com for hints on what bids people have put in, successfully and unsuccessfully, on Priceline.

DO NOT stay at any of the hotels in DC on New York Avenue, no matter how cheap the rate is.

I just took a quick look on Expedia for the dates you want and don't see anything decent for less that $160/night before taxes. That's hardly an exhaustive search, but just gives you an idea.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

12. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

I know there are some options in Rockville and Bethesda, Md., which are both on Metro's red line. When I lived in Rockville, my parents visited once and stayed at the Ramada Inn on Rockville Pike. Metro's Twinbrook station might be close enough to walk. Rockville and White Flint stations are also nearby. You could take the red line down to Metro Center transfer to, I believe, the green/yellow line to the convention center, which has its own station, I forget the name though. Go to metroopensdoors.com for more information on Metro. I also a remember a Doubletree near the Ramada Inn in Rockville. There's also a Hyatt in Bethesda. Both would be sort of pricey. If you stayed at the Hyatt, you could probably park and have access to all the restaurants and such down Wisconsin Ave., the main drag through Bethesda. From the couple of times I've been to the convention center I don't remember hearing or seeing an abundance of parking.

Draft saved Draft deleted