1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hotel advice for D.C. trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 11, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Anyone have any suggestions on decent hotels to stay in D.C. near the Convention Center? I will be there June 23-27. Any suggestions on what to look for thru Hotwire or any of those? If I found a deal, I'd have to be careful that I don't end up 20 miles away.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Price range?

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I stayed at the Washington Circle Inn a couple of months ago. It was nice and in a great location. Foggy Bottom metro stop is across the street and you can get just about anywhere from there. I don't think it's too far from the Convention Center. It looks like you can get a suite for about $170 a night. We paid around $100 a night I think because there was a special rate for whatever my wife was in town for, so you might check to see if there's a special rate for your event.

http://www.thecirclehotel.com/index2.htm

4. TheSportsPredictor

I
    I figure if I can get a room for around $80-90 a nite I could get my own room. I'm going for a conference and rates would be twice that for a double at most places. So I would have to share if I can't find something for at least half.

I did a good job a couple years ago when I went to Cincinnati and got my own room in a hotel right across the street from my convention hotel for $52 a night thru Hotwire, about a quarter of what they were charging in the convention hotel. Don't know if I'll have the same luck in DC.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A lot depends on the days, TSP. On some days you can get great rates on hotwire, on others, not so much.

If you strike out at first, you might make a reservation somewhere else to keep in your back pocket but try hotwire closer to the time you are going to see if the hotels are getting desperate.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

$80 a night in DC, hotwire or not, could have you in a VERY bad part of town.

7. TheSportsPredictor

Yeah, nothing cheap at all on there right now, except for things that I'm sure are 15 miles or more away. Anything that's really cheap is near Dulles Airport -- that's not near the DC Convention Center is it?

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Dulles isn't near anything. I don't even think there's a Metro that goes to Dulles.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed.

May as well stay at the Mary Crackpot Lodge; free continental breakfast means syringes, spoons and lighters.

10. TheSportsPredictor

Sweet! A choice between that and possibly rooming with my boss. I feel like I'm in Saw IV.

11. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

20 miles away might work, if the hotel's near a Metro station.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

here, from the Convention Center's Web site. Try these places.

http://www.dcconvention.com/attendees/hotels.asp

Draft saved Draft deleted