1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Oct 29, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Tigers might need to add some insurance behind those guys. It's tough to rely on Rogers and Miller at this point. I would assume at least one or both will be in the rotation to start the year, though.

buckweaver, come on...I know you know that Alexander was dominant down the stretch that year for the Tigers and they probably miss the playoffs without him. Obviously not worth what they gave up in hindsight, but he did do exactly what they expected.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Yeah, he's money. I know he gets a lot of credit, but I still think he's vastly underrated. He's as dominating a closer as anyone.

Is Santana headed out?

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Very true. Didn't he go 8-0 or 9-0 down the stretch to help knock off those fucking Blue Jays? Man, I hated everyone on that team...especially Tom Henke and Dave Stieb.

Alexander has to rank up there with Otis Nixon as the oldest-looking guys in a baseball uniform...at least in his Tiger days.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'll believe that when I see it, but this move isn'ta bout Jurrjens. This is the David Justice trade.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yes. Guillen's mobility has been drastically reduced due to knee injuries in the last few years. He's gone from an above-average shortstop when healthy and in his prime, to something just short of abysmal.

6. novelist_wannabe

I guess the question now is, which front-line starters are free agents?

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Agreed. It's easier to "teach" someone to play first than it is to find a quality shortstop with a bat.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Renteria held that lineup together until he was hurt. Escobar played well and has great baseball smarts, but they weren't the same without Renteria.

The Braves are very high on Jose Ascanio with an eye toward him being a quality setup man. This is shaping up to be a very good staff once again.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

To whomever asked, Santana is as good as gone.

10. novelist_wannabe

Hmmm ... Hudson, Santana, Smoltz, Glavine and Chuck James. Interesting ...

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Others would know better than I, but I don't think Atlanta would be willing to either part with prospects necessary to pry him away nor spend the kind of money necessary to sign Johan.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

I want Santana at Shea next season

Draft saved Draft deleted