1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I agree.....remember that Craig Hansen was the closer of the future and I'm sure some team will gladly take him w/Crisp. There's no way the Sox sign a free agent CF....

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

All you Braves people, will they want to bring Glavine back, or do they think he may be done?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

No disrespect, but there's a market for Craig Hansen and Coco Crisp?

4. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

What are the chances A-Rod takes less money (like $20 million a year) to go to a contender, like Boston?

And, no, I'm not a Red Sox fan.

A-Rod was apparently willing to give up some money to go from Texas to Boston a couple years ago. Now, he's a "free" agent and can sign with anybody. He doesn't need to make $30 million a year. If he decides to take less for a chance to win a World Series — and the Red Sox figure to be in the mix for the next few years — he can win over some of the folks who think he's only about the money and only cares about himself.

Just a thought.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Hopefully someone would bite on a Crisp/Hansen package...

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Someone might give up a mid-level prospect for Crisp, but, realistically, there isn't going to be much of a market there.

7. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

It's pretty much assumed that Glavine won't come back to Atlanta.

Don't be surprised if the Braves go after Torii Hunter. They can't afford to have a huge drop-off of production with that position as it's been a cornerstone of the offense for at least 12 years.

It will be interesting to see if Hunter signs with Atlanta what effect that will have on re-signing Teixeira after next season.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Not too big, but they'd be able to get something decent for them. Hansen's extremely talented but the orginization has grown a bit sour on him, or so I've heard. He's struggled in the Majors to say the least and the front office fully expected him to be a contributor by now...hell, he was pegged as the not-too-distant future closer for the Sox a few years back. They'll probably give him another shot in '08, but they might have to include him in a potential deal because Coco alone is not going to bring anything of value. Coco is one of the top defensive outfielders in baseball, although his bat is pretty much garbage and there's no room in the starting OF for him, not with the emergance of Jacoby.

If I was a National League team, I'd certainly take a chance on them.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Detroit maybe?

That is if they can't/don't/won't re-sign Todd Jones. And you probably don't want to annoint Zumaya the closer just yet.

It probably doesn't happen, but could be worth discussion.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Any chance ARod ends up in Detroit?

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not unless he takes a pretty big pay cut. Tigers already have $80 million in payroll for 12 guys (or something like that).

12. Turbo

Turbo Guest

Nothing but pure speculation on my part, but I think the Braves bring Glavine back. And then Bobby, Smoltzie and Tommy all retire after 08.

Draft saved Draft deleted