1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Oct 29, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't mind the move if they actually get something of value. Tejada's skills are fading, particularly in the field.

Though my guess is they will dump him for nothing and then waste way too much money on somebody like Jones.

Somebody asked above. The Orioles' current center fielder is Corey Patterson.

2. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I figured Pie would assume the CF position in Chicago next season...

Andruw Jones doesn't fit well with any team. Why would he? No one wants to pay him the $12-15 million he's going to want. His defense has slipped with his weight gain, so I don't think anyone really wants to give him a big long-term contract, which he's likely going to want.

Jones is proof that CF is hard as hell on a guy's body. He's only around 30, but he's been playing in that huge outfield for so long that he's already lost a few steps. He's not the base runner he once was and he's not hitting for average like he used to.

Who knows where he ends up.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Remmeber, folks, Bor-ass is Andruw's agent and is said to be looking for $20 mill per season...what a freakin' joke.

4. CollegeJournalist

$20 million?

Manny Ramirez made $17 million in '07, and he's more valuable hitting once a week than Jones is playing an entire season.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

a joke ... except he'll probably get it from somebody. It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox dumped Coco Crisp and signed Andruw, whose power would play well in Fenway. Lotta fly ball outs at the Ted would have been doubles off the monster there. Big drawback is he really isn't that patient as a hitter, which seems to be a big part of Boston's formula. At any rate, I think they'd sign him before they'd sign A-Rod.

6. CollegeJournalist

No way Boston signs Jones. They have Ellsbury to stick in center, and he's a great fit in that lineup. If they re-sign Lowell, the Sox have Ramirez, Ortiz, Youkilis, Drew and Lowell to hit balls out of the ballpark. Pedroia and Ellsbury are table-setters and Lugo is an above average 8th/9th hitter.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Prediction: The Phillies go on a major spending spree this off-season and sign A-Rod, Andruw Jones, and Mariano Rivera. Philadelphia will then ask for a loan from Citizens Bank and then become the Philadelphia Phillies of Citizens Bank. The line-up of Rollins, Utley, A-Rod, Howard, Jones, and Burrell will set records for runs, home runs and strikeouts and most men left on base. They will get to the playoffs, but lose in the first round again, causing mass hysteria and mobs to travel to the homes of A-Rod and Rivera for under-performing in the playoffs. A-Rod will demand a trade in the off-season to go back to the Yankees, saying "New York really isn't that bad."

Reality: I will wake up from my nap in 5 minutes.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I know Philly has been a popular possible destination for Rivera. Where else? Atlanta? Cleveland? Houston?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My money has Mo staying in the Bronx.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I was thinking Boston too.

Before Wells signed in Toronto, I predicted the Jays wouldn't spend the cash to keep him and they'd trade him to Boston at the deadline next year when his contract expired. However, that's since been killed thanks to the Jays upping Wells contract last season.

Still, there are better CFs than Crisp out there (and didn't they get rid of Stern too?). And if there's one thing that's true, everyone in NY and Boston are expendable if someone better comes along. Plus, money's no object either.

There's still Ellsbury in Beantown too though.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm sure Atlanta would love to have him, but what the Braves need is starting pitching, without which the bullpen becomes irrelevent, as was shown this year.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Sox would be foolish to sign Jones and I highly doubt they would even consider it. Jacoby will be the CF for the next decade. More likely is trading Coco and maybe Craig Hansen for a power bat or starting pitching prospect.

Draft saved Draft deleted