1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread, Part II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Dec 11, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I agree with everything said by the last three posts.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

How bout these guys?

1. Weeks 2B
    2. Hall CF
    3. Fielder 1B
    4. Braun LF
    5. Hart RF
    6. Rolen? 3B
    7. Hardy SS
    8. Rivera C

Not bad either ...

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Let's see Weeks actually stay healthy and play worth a damn for more than a month or two at a time.

More importantly, let's see Yost have the sense to leave Hart in the lineup every day now.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

and isn't Rolen still a Cardinal?

5. Steak Snabler

He is, but I figured he gets out of St. Loo eventually. Even if they don't get him, they'd still line up something like this ...

1. Weeks 2B
    2. Gwynn LF
    3. Fielder 1B
    4. Braun 3B
    5. Hart RF
    6. Hall CF
    7. Hardy SS
    8. Rivera/Munson C

Still pretty strong, though a lot depends on Weeks' health/production. Maybe the best 3-4-5 in the league outside of Colorado ...

6. Dignan

Dignan Guest

The Astros have four legit All-Stars in their everyday lineup: Pence, Berkman, Lee and Tejada. The Cubs have two: Soriano and Lee. The Brewers have Fielder and Braun. I think Pence is a darkhorse candidate for MVP next year.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Looking at the line-ups the Cubs have the better players at LF, RF, 1B, 3B. The Astros have the better players at CF and SS. 2B and C are a push.

Of course Tejada will probably hit a zillion home runs playing in that abortion of a ballpark. So that could skew the 3B comparison a little.

8. Steak Snabler

For the Brewers, Hardy was an All-Star last year (though he faded badly in the second half) and Hart is getting there. Weeks had a .374 OBP despite a .235 AVG., so he's a better player than most people think.

For the Cubs, Aramis Ramirez is one of the top three or four at his position in the league, behind only Chipper Jones, David Wright and perhaps Ryan Zimmerman or Garrett Atkins.

9. Dignan

Dignan Guest

You're taking a 30-year-old Fukudome facing MLB pitching for the first time over a 25-year-old Pence, who could be a 30-30 guy and hit .320-.330? Not to mention, he's a terrific defensive player.

10. statrat

statrat Member

Tejada gives the Astros a significant improvement over Everett, at least offensively at short, but Ed Wade overpaid by a wide margin for a defensively suspect player who has been declining offensively the last few years. Five players, with three decent pitchers and a 3B prospect that still has some upside? I don't think this moves helps the Astros get much closer to the playoffs.

11. Steak Snabler

I think we all think Fukudome's going to be just fine, but is he better than Pence? I don't know.

But I also think that 108 major-league games, half of them played in a major hitter's park (not to mention a pretty significant wrist injury), is too little evidence to be anointing Pence as the next Carlos Beltran just yet ...

12. Pittsburgh and San Diego are very close to a big trade.
    - Jason Bay, Nate McLouth and Matt Morris to San Diego
    - Michael Barrett, Heath Bell, 3b prospect Chase Headley, and RHSP prospect Will Inman to Pittsburgh

Draft saved Draft deleted