1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread, Part II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Dec 11, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'm not in love with the guys at the top, but this is how I would construct the Astros' 2008 lineup:

1. Michael Bourn, CF
    2. Kaz Matsui, 2B
    3. Hunter Pence, RF
    4. Lance Berkman, 1B
    5. Carlos Lee, LF
    6. Miguel Tejada, 3B
    7. J.R. Towles, C
    8. Adam Everett, SS
    9. pitcher

There is no good reason to have Tejada play short when you have a Gold Glove-caliber fielder there in Everett, but no real viable option at third. I don't trust Matsui at the top of the order, but there aren't too many options there. Bourn has crazy speed, but the jury is still out on his plate discipline at the Major League level.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I could go either way on the Cardinals. If Carpenter and Pujols are healthy all year, they're certainly headed in the right direction. But I think the Brewers are going to win 83-plus games for a few more years, and -- sadly -- I think that's going to be good for second in the Central for a while.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Carpenter won't be ready till June, at the earliest.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Astros may non-tender Everett and play Ty Wigginton at third base, not that I'd recommend that option.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If they move him to third, it means the Astros just paid $24 million and five prospects for average to slightly-above-average production out of that position.

Even taking into account inflation due to that joke of a park, damn, that doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe Tejada will hit 40 and it will look like a good deal. Who knows...

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'd bite the bullet with having Everett's "bat" in the line-up. Just stick him in the eight-hole and watch him be one of the top defensive shortstops in the league.

7. outofplace

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/12/now-cubs-need-o.html

Supposedly, the Cubs are close on getting Brian Roberts, though I still don't see why Baltimore would want to do this.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Like Bedard, his contract is up in 2009. I like Roberts and he's a big fan favorite (and owner favorite), so it would be interesting to see the backlash if he is dealt. But if he is, it would be a sure sign that Angelos is giving McPhail free reign.

p.s. I also think Phil Rogers is Gammons-esque in throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

So if Roberts and Bedard are traded, is this basically the end of Baltimore as a relevant franchise?

10. Dignan

Dignan Guest

That's a damn good lineup in the NL Central.

I figure the Cubs will go with something like ...
    1. Soriano LF
    2. Theriot SS
    3. Lee 1B
    4. Ramirez 3B
    5. Fukudome RF
    6. DeRosa 2B
    7. Pie/Fuld CF
    8. Soto C

The Astros' lineup is better, in my opinion.

11. outofplace

Are they relevant now?

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Actually, I think the O's ceased to be relevant when Palmeiro got busted for steroids, if not before ...

Draft saved Draft deleted