1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread, Part II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

In the Angels' case, I think it was pretty simple: Glaus had missed most of the previous two seasons with back problems and they weren't willing to commit $40-50 million to a guy when they weren't sure if he'd be able to put in a full year. Also, Dallas McPherson was a guy with a lot of potential at the time and they were able to move him in at third. Of course, ironically, McPherson suddenly became injury-prone also after they gave him the job.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Has anyone heard from Omar Minaya? Or are the Mets going to go to spring training with a rotation of Pedro, Pelfrey, Humber, Maine and Perez?

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Keep waiting for him to pull the trigger on a deal for a starter, but he never does. Thought they might go for Haren, but that didn't happen. Are they in on Santana? Maybe Bedard will come available, but Minaya never seems to commit to trading some of their prospects.

But hey, they could still sign Kyle Loshe! ;D

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I thought they'd go after Haren and Blanton or Bedard, too. Minny wants Reyes, both outfield prospects and a couple minor league starters plus the deed to Citi Field. I guess Minaya feels like he can't give up the farm for Johan.

Lohse? Knowing the Mets, they'd give him five years, $55 million and be shocked when he can't get anyone out.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

That's true hb-the Twins do seem to be asking the farm for Santana. I guess I'm still bemused that Minaya traded Milledge in a deal for Schneider when he could've been part of a package for one of those pitchers.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think Milledge's trade value was highest prior to the 2006 season, while he was still in the minors. I think his value dipped so much in the last two seasons that he could not have been the centerpiece of a deal to bring Haren, Blanton or Bedard to Flushing.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

As a Phillies fan I sure hope that's the rotation the Mets plan on going to St. Lucie with. And again as a Phillies fan I hope they sign Lohse before Dave Montgomery gets antsy and demands Pat Gillick give Lohse an Adam Eaton-like contract or worse.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Well, Brad Renfro ain't walkin' through that door.

Draft saved Draft deleted