1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread, Part II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

And he will be under Sweet Lou. It would take a superstar signing to move Theriot out of that spot. With the high grass at Wrigley, he's OK at short. Doesn't bother me, and I like everything he brings to the field every day.

Thank God they didn't sign Matsui. I wouldn't mind seeing Brian Roberts come to the Northside, though, moving DeRosa to super utility.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ugh... proof that I need to get some sleep. Thanks Doc.

Hammer, good point about Roberts. Not sure if they can get it done, but he'd be a great fit.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Jonathan Sanchez's 2007 stats:
    LHP, 25 years old (11/19/1982), 6'2", 180 lbs -- Pitches with a low three-quarters delivery...Throws lively low-90s fastball (sneaky-fast) that routinely touches 95...Possesses a plus change-up and a slider, but has yet to master the breaking pitch...Had trouble in '06 pitching on consecutive days...Never pitched more than 126 innings in a year. (...from Baseball America's '07 Prospect Handbook)

Minors: 0-0; 1.90 ERA; 8 games (5 starts); 0 CG/SHO/S; 23.2 IP; 15 H; 5 R; 0 HR; 9 BB; 32 K; .179 AVG

San Fran: 1-5; 5.88 ERA; 33 games (4 starts); 0 CG/SHO/S; 52 IP; 57 H; 34 R; 8 HR; 28 BB; 62 K; .284 AVG

His stats from thebaseballcube.com
    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Jonathan-Sanchez.shtml

Not sure who else the Yankees would want from the Giants. By all means, they should try to get either Matt Cain or Tim Lincecum, but the likelihood of that happening isn't very good. The only position players in the Giants' system I like are utility man Eugenio Velez and OF John Bowker, but they'll be 26 and 25, respectively, come next season.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Imagine the Wrigleyville shirts for Fukudome. All you need to add is three well-placed spaces.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really would have been a joy to have Harry Cary back for one more season.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Hoping Haren ends up with the Wahoos...

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'd probably do Matsui for Sanchez and a lower prospect just to shed the contract two year's earlier and free up another spot in the logjam.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Piniella calls Fukudome a cross between Ichiro and Hideki Matsui, said last week he expected to bat the new Cub fourth or fifth in the order. Now if the Cubs can just deal for Brian Roberts to lead off.

There was also this, which I rarely have heard in reference to a Cubs: "strike-zone discipline."

9. chester

chester Member

Shapiro has to do something. You can't let the primary competition load up like the Tigers have and just stand pat. Although, I'd much rather see them get a corner outfielder with some pop than a pitcher, not that Haren wouldn't be a nice addition, especially if/when C.C. departs. Problem is, I don't know where that corner outfielder is on this market.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How much will the FCC end up fining Santo by the end of the year?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Do you think they should have been more aggressive going after Jason Bay and hoping he turns it back around?

The last rumor I heard on that was Bay and Ron Paulino for Shoppach, Gutierrez and Adam Miller. Seems like a high price given how bad Bay was last year.

12. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Yankees fans, why would they want to get rid of Matsui? I thought they liked him and expected him to hit for more power this season. Johnny Damon in left field is the answer?

Draft saved Draft deleted