1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread, Part II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Dec 11, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I think 54 pages is a little more to dive in and figure out what was said. If this gets nuked, no big deal.

Anyway, I'm pulling myself away from the ridiculousness on the Anything Goes board. I keep on reading about the Yanks trying to shop Hideki Matsui to the Giants for a package centered around LHP Jonathan Sanchez. I have two main questions:

1) Is this deal actually in serious discussion between the two clubs? Are the Giants really that dumb?

2) How will this impact the Yankees chances of competing with the Red Sox for '08? Is Sanchez that big of a deal?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

How could they just sign him? What about that whole posting fee-process that surrounded Matsuzaka?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Phila, I thought Noah Lowry was the Yankees' target, or Lowry and Sanchez. I hadn't seen a deal for just Sanchez.

That could also be a bluff to get the Twins to move the price on Santana. Just make some noise about getting a pitcher elsewhere.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fukudome is 30 with 10 years of service in Japan. He can become a free agent with no posting. Dice-K was only 26.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

This is where I got the whole Sanchez idea:

7. outofplace

Got ya. I hadn't seen that. I just read something earlier about Lowry and Sanchez both being in the talks.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

George King on the Matsui thing:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12112007/sports/yankees/matsui_may_waive_bye_822416.htm

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

There's no way I'd want Lowry. Soft-tossin' lefty coming over from the spacious ballparks in the NL West to the AL East is never a good idea. Sanchez can gas it, and is a young left-hander. His ERA and walks-per-nine are a tad troubling, though.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I will do my best to squash the fanboy stuff as much as possible and just say that the Cubs made a nice move in getting Fukudome.

11. outofplace

Hammer, does DeRosa slot into a super-utility role with Theriot at second base? Or maybe the other way around?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Theriot's at shortstop.

Draft saved Draft deleted