1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread 2014-15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

$15 million.

He was hurt most of his first year in DC. He played 154, 152 and 140 games the next three years. Batting average blew in 2013 but he's still a positive in that lineup.

So you give Zimmerman 30 games there, another 10 at DH and he'll end up playing some in the OF. It could work out if they wanted to make it work out.

I wonder if they'll try to keep Cabrera to play second. You'd think they would want to keep Rendon at third.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, he is definitely still a positive. Nobody has to sell me on the guy. I just wonder if they are worried about him breaking down and that helped push the Nats to let him go. The reason I mentioned 2013 was that I remembered talk about health being the reason he dipped below his usual level.

3. Moderator1

I think - old age is a bitch and I can't recall - he had a problem keeping weight on. He's on medication for ADD and they had to make some adjustments? Came back with a pretty good year in 2014.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How about the Nats sign Panda and trade Rendon to the Giants? You can then keep LaRoche.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm sure Washington is looking to get rid of a 24-year-old full-time starter whose contract is under team control until 2019.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup. I believe he is among those major leaguers who has the exemption to use Adderall.

7. Moderator1

Or sign Panda and move Rendon to second?

8. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Panda seems to show up during the playoffs, but that same production does not show up during the season....this may be used against him when he goes for big money

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Chatter here (might be idle chatter) that Sox will pursue Sandoval.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ryan Zimmerman is under contract at $14MM per year thru 2018, then is set to make $18MM in 2019 before a club option at the same number for 2020. You cannot bury a guy making that much money on the bench, and his contract makes him untradeable.

But it's not like he's Dan Uggla. He's still a good player, he's just not worth what he's getting paid. Zimmerman can still hit, but he cannot continue to play third base and the Nationals' outfield is full up.

As for LaRoche and ADD, yeah, that's a real thing. In his early days with the Braves, he would often have lapses in the field and forget to cover first base or make the wrong throw on relays and things like that. Seems like he's gotten a handle on that, and good for him.

Letting LaRoche walk and moving Zimmerman to first base full-time is the only logical move the Nationals could have made, short of finding someone to take Zimmerman's contract off their hands, which wasn't going to happen.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup. No logical reason to keep LaRoche. Can't make decisions like that based on injuries that might happen, even though they probably will. It sucks that LaRoche is no longer with the Nats to be sure, but there is just no place for him. They have people to fill in when Zim or an OF get hurt.

One thing's for sure. With LaRoche gone, there will be far fewer appearances by the Duck Dynasty crew at Nats Park.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Paul Molitor to manage the Twins:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Paul_Molitor_expected_to_be_named_Twins_manager_next_week110114

Draft saved Draft deleted